4 weeks old...and so many differences. Is one a Roo?

psymonetta

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
Portland, OR
3377416334_e3dc173f7c.jpg

This is a pair of standard red cochins. They are both supposed to be pullets, but as you can see, one is much larger than the other. The smaller of the two is "fluffier". Her new feathers are really really down-like and her tail feathers are pretty much just a giant puff of fuzz. Her feet feathers are also really fuzzy. Her comb is also just a little larger and pinker. She's also the most people-friendly of my whole brood. She is out of the brooder and on your lap, every chance she gets.

The larger is more aggressive, but not terribly so. Her feathers are very much like normal feathers, and her tail feathers are more like a regular chicken tail. Her feet feathers are really grown out and very feather-like.

Here's another picture of the larger of the two:

3376601221_9b236b2cc4.jpg

and here's the smaller of the two from earlier today:

3376089159_7131c66411.jpg

They're both very curious and sweet...but I'm wondering if the differences mean I have one roo and one hen?

Boy the one really is a lot bigger than the other. It could be a roo but only time will tell. When you pick it up does it curl its feet up, most roos will do that but sometimes a pullet will too. They are both very pretty.

Finally!!! A bird that looks like the one I'm trying to identify, color and all!!

Here's one of my threads about the chicks I got:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=149967

You can see other pics with Buttercups to see the sizes.

I'm guessing mine is about the same age, and he's supposed to be a banty.

If you search for my posts you'll see some others back when I first got them, but the feathering looks like it's at the same stage.

Could you have a banty cochin roo and a standard cochin pullet?

One possibility I was considering was that the smaller one was a banty roo...or possibly had some sort of silkie cross breeding. Her feathers are just soooooo soft and fluffy. It's like she's growing a second round of down rather than real feathers.

Quote:
Oh shoot, do I have that backwards then? I thought is was the other way around.

I tested my little ones and I only had one that curled its legs, the rest spread them out or one leg out and one leg curled. So I thought I only had one female because both were curled, so I chose it for sure.

Oooppss
big_smile.png

I'm really not sure. I either have two large fowl cochins and the big one is a roo...or I have one LF pullet and one bantam roo...or I have two LF pullets and the one just happens to be runty or mixed or something.

It's all a big conundrum!

I would guess he is a bantam roo, she is a standard hen. From everything I have heard (and seen with my own babies) boys feather in quite a bit slower than girls which would explain his feathers right now. The size difference is just amazing, though!!!

ETA...those are some of the cutest little faces I have ever seen!!!
love.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom