4 wk chick losing feathers?

katiekuj

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
My 4 week old black sex link has been replacing her down with feathers - but now has spots on her body (chest, back near the tail and under wings) where the feathers have fallen out and they look bare. She is eating and drinking fine - but she looks really awful. Can anyone give me any advice on why this might be happening?

86173_april_2011_36_mo_16_mo_014.jpg

86173_april_2011_36_mo_16_mo_014.jpg

Is she by herself?

If so, she is pecking herself. Check for lice or other parasites.

If not, someone is pecking on her.... if that is the case, get some Blue Kote and spray the area.

Good luck.

I have a BCM hen that constantly pecks out the feathers from her back and rump. (she has no tail feathers!) She looks horrible... I blue kote it, I dust her for lice and mites but she just keeps doing it... I'd cull her but she lays such nice DARK eggs.

I have not witnessed any pecking. She actually seems to be the most aggressive of the bunch. Do you think she should be seperated? She peeps awful loud if we take her away from the others

I sure hope someone answer you. I have a little black banny chick in the same situation and it I don't know what normal is! Is she just changing her feather? I have notice little white specks on her. is that mites?
Please advise

Back
Top Bottom