4 year old BO with limp foot

DangerChickenHouse

Songster
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Charlotte, NC
She is a happy and friendly girl who still is eating and drinking. She is social with me and the other hens. Her foot seems to be getting worse by the day. There is no evidence of abrasion or break. Nothing feels warmer than it should. Today, it flooded back a few times and she walked on her ankle. Tonight she couldn't roost and is sleeping on a nest on the floor.

It doesn't appear to be bumble foot.

I just got rid of a very young aggressive roo. He could have hurt her. He was very rough.

She feels lighter in weight. I'm wondering if the roo was letting her eat.

Thoughts? How should I proceed?

Last edited:
I would cage with food and water her inside the coop to rest it. Splinting it may also help. If it is broken or badly sprained, it can take 2 weeks or more to heal. Feed her some scrambled egg, canned tuna, or ground meat, along with her chicken feed. You can also bump up her feed to gamebird feed for more protein. Give her some probiotics and vitamins--many of the commercial poultry vitamins now contain probiotics, and so do feeds such as Nutrena Nature Wise Feeds.

Describe all symptoms. Swelling started in her foot and now she cannot walk at all? Is leg swollen/hot? Often a break cannot be felt,it all depends on the type of fracture. Is she eating/drinking? What does her poop look like?

No swelling in the foot. No discoloration. No warm or cold spots. Foot seems fine. I can move it and her leg.....she just can't manage to move her foot. She can hold up her leg. In fact, she kinda hopping sadly on one foot.

Her poop is yellow and runny.

She feels like she's lost weight. She's looking rough, but she also just finished a molt.

Her appetite is normal.

Did she have a Mareks vaccine? Lameness can be from all sorts of things, but Mareks is one of the many causes, and can present with paralysis of one or both legs or wings, but one leg is more common. While Mareks is more common in younger chickens, it can happen to any age. I would be more suspicious of an injury that has affected the nerve in the leg. Treating her for worms with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, and repeated in 10 days may help. SafeGuard liquid goat wormer at the same dose would also be good instead.

Dewormer is a good idea. I didn't think about that being the root of the problem. I'll start them on some ASAP. Thanks! I can't help but think she is undernourished because of the roo and might have an injury too. I just thought I would see progress by now. I got rid of the roo six days ago.

Last edited:
Her head is tucked into her wing. She keeps her foot extended in front of her without putting weight on it. Her feathers look unhealthy. She's looking bad.

I have her separated with a cozy set up. She's been dewormed. She has nice expensive organic feed and water. I gave her 1/2 aspirin. Her water has electrolytes and vitamins added to it.

I don't know what else to do.

Last edited:
Make sure she is eating and drinking. It's too bad that she is not improved. Check with your state vet about getting a necropsy done for Mareks or other causes if she doesn't make it. I do hope she starts to turn around and improve.

Back
Top Bottom