4 year old comet chicken eggs breaking to easily help please

Yuki

Songster
5 Years
Sep 13, 2017
I have a comet hen who is almost four years old this April her eggs keep breaking at the sights bump for over 5 times in a row from what I know she is the lowest of the flock and in concerned it could lead to the egg breaking in side of her is it from age it from nutritional needs she just started laying again a week ago the older hens have been hardly laying anything for over eight months in worried please help

Well she is often chased away by the hens they get a huge leaf of roman lettuce daily the head is ready to be feed to the yet and I've been giving them 16%layers pellets like always she recently I've been giving them meal worm in top of there feed they don't free range because of predators so they are in a roof covered ten by ten bog kennel witch holds there coop inside

Romaine is not likely to provide much in the way of nutrition. If she is getting chased away from the feed, that is part of the issue. Put out a separate feed station. Also, be sure they all have access to extra oyster shell. finally, give her a good quality multi vitamin. There are many appropriate ones on the market. At 4 years old, her reproductive system is likely wearing out. In that case, there's not much you can do. I would cull any older hen if and when she shows signs of not feeling well.

Hi Yuki,

Just like you, I keep my chicken houses inside a chain link dog kennel with a roof to prevent predators.

Try adding vinegar to the water for your chickens. That will help her digestive tract absorb calcium. Make sure that there is free-choice calcium for her to eat. You might also put an extra feeder in the pen if you think the other chickens are chasing her away from the feed. When I had an older chicken who couldn't make shells any longer, I gave her vinegar and some B-vitamins. You can get chicken vitamins at the store, or you can crush up B-vitamin pills and put the powder over their feed. It did help my older chicken--but it was about the end of her laying days when they cannot make a shell any longer.

One to two tablespoons of vinegar per gallon of water. Also save the shells from your eggs and dry them crush them -- I put mine in the microwave for a bit to make sure they are thoroughly dry and easy to smash up.

Good luck with your hen.

Hi Yuki,

Just like you, I keep my chicken houses inside a chain link dog kennel with a roof to prevent predators.

Try adding vinegar to the water for your chickens. That will help her digestive tract absorb calcium. Make sure that there is free-choice calcium for her to eat. You might also put an extra feeder in the pen if you think the other chickens are chasing her away from the feed. When I had an older chicken who couldn't make shells any longer, I gave her vinegar and some B-vitamins. You can get chicken vitamins at the store, or you can crush up B-vitamin pills and put the powder over their feed. It did help my older chicken--but it was about the end of her laying days when they cannot make a shell any longer.

One to two tablespoons of vinegar per gallon of water. Also save the shells from your eggs and dry them crush them -- I put mine in the microwave for a bit to make sure they are thoroughly dry and easy to smash up.

Good luck with your hen.
Thanks you guys so much for the advice there is only so much I can do because my mother keeps saying get back to the basics of only needing them pellets and plain water I've started putting oregano in the water again I'm gonna have feed her Meal worm to help her get in extra protein and hopefully once the grass starts furrowing again I'll be able to give them that I'know it's not much nutrition I'll start eating there eggs in the morning to give it to her but I'll dry them out wats the best way to dry out the egg shells and yes the eight hens I have are mine and I'm still in high school and don't have a driver's licenses even though I'm a senior I do have a job but my mother hates my adding or trying to aid my hens so I can't get oyster shells we have extra virgin olive oil not vingar is that close enough I can't wait to be able to help her thanks so much for such the helpful replies it really helps thank you so much for your guys time I appreciate it

Hi Yuki!

The olive oil isn't the same as vinegar in the chicken's nutrition. Look in your kitchen cupboard....most houses have vinegar, and if you don't have any, then ask your mother to pick up a bottle next time she is in the grocery!!! Vinegar is pretty cheap. The reason it helps them absorb calcium is because it is acidic.
Here is a 'science experiment'
https://www.google.com/search?q=soa.....69i57j0l5.5580j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Perhaps you could combine your chicken raising with your school work? Your mother is right that chickens shouldn't need other than pellets and plenty of water. Maybe you could talk to her about how this is important to you, and ask her for her help in taking the best care of your chicken and explaining that it is a pet, as well as livestock, and that you will be learning new things while trying your care process.
A smallish bottle of apple cider vinegar is pretty low cost. Put 1 Tablespoon in a gallon of water....and let your flock drink from that. If you cannot purchse oystershells, then be sure to give the shells from the eggs you use back to your chickens.
You can dry them out by just letting them sit for awhile. I put mine in the microwave oven on a paper plate for about 1 minute 30 seconds -- and they are easy to smash with a can -- and then I roll the can over the paper plate to make the shell pieces small.

Good luck with your chicken -- hope you can get hold of some vinegar and you can feed eggshells to your flock!
:fl
ETA - if you are not able to get vinegar, send me a PM, I might have an idea that would work for you. Remember too, that chickens do have a time when their egg laying days are over, and when their life ends as sad as that makes us feel.

Last edited:
Hi Yuki!

The olive oil isn't the same as vinegar in the chicken's nutrition. Look in your kitchen cupboard....most houses have vinegar, and if you don't have any, then ask your mother to pick up a bottle next time she is in the grocery!!! Vinegar is pretty cheap. The reason it helps them absorb calcium is because it is acidic.
Here is a 'science experiment'
https://www.google.com/search?q=soa.....69i57j0l5.5580j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Perhaps you could combine your chicken raising with your school work? Your mother is right that chickens shouldn't need other than pellets and plenty of water. Maybe you could talk to her about how this is important to you, and ask her for her help in taking the best care of your chicken and explaining that it is a pet, as well as livestock, and that you will be learning new things while trying your care process.
A smallish bottle of apple cider vinegar is pretty low cost. Put 1 Tablespoon in a gallon of water....and let your flock drink from that. If you cannot purchse oystershells, then be sure to give the shells from the eggs you use back to your chickens.
You can dry them out by just letting them sit for awhile. I put mine in the microwave oven on a paper plate for about 1 minute 30 seconds -- and they are easy to smash with a can -- and then I roll the can over the paper plate to make the shell pieces small.

Good luck with your chicken -- hope you can get hold of some vinegar and you can feed eggshells to your flock!
:fl
ETA - if you are not able to get vinegar, send me a PM, I might have an idea that would work for you. Remember too, that chickens do have a time when their egg laying days are over, and when their life ends as sad as that makes us feel.
Thanks my hens are like my babies to me will do and would putting the crushed eggshells in water work or in the bread that I feed them to trick her into eating the egg shells because this morning I tried putting it in bread or hand feeding her but she was very stubborn plus I haven't had for year old hens before so I'm very worried about them hopefully they live over a decade it's my goal I'll put vingar on the list I have allot of chicken books and even a medical book but I don't give much ideas for this sort of stuff including how they're bodies change trust me with what every spare time at school I look up on anything on chickens to improve things I'm also studying to be a vet tech and already have plenty of really experience so hopefully that will also help me with them too and thanks so much again

Studies have shown that calcium stays in the gut longer, and thus is more beneficial if it is given in larger particles. I save my shells in a bowl, and simply toss them into the run, give them a stamp with my foot, and walk away. And, no... giving egg shells to chickens in this manner WILL NOT turn them into egg eaters.

Back
Top Bottom