4 year old hen with water belly.

epmilligan

Hatching
Mar 9, 2024
My hen started hanging around our door about a month ago. We brought her in and noticed a huge swollen, hard belly. I have given her epson salt baths and calcium water. She has stopped eating her pellets but eats softer foods like egg and strawberries. We drained fluid last week and she seemed to get a little better but I don’t know what to give her to keep her healing. I know an underlying problem causes it, but should I be feeding her specific things or giving vitamins? Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you,
Eva

Welcome to BYC. What color and how much fluid did you get from draining her belly? What do her poops look like? Water belly or ascites is a chronic condition that may accompany reproductive infection, fatty liver disease, cancer, and in some broilers, heart failure. I have had hens with symptoms of water belly lice a couple of years, but it depends on the cause. I would make her comfortable, and offer her a balanced diet of chicken feed and egg, but limit treats.

Hi Eva,
So sorry to hear about your poorly girl. I’ve heard that reducing the amount of protein may help but I agree with Eggcessive that the best thing to do is make her comfortable and provide a balanced diet without treats.
Big, yet gentle, Hugz to you both

Welcome to BYC. What color and how much fluid did you get from draining her belly? What do her poops look like? Water belly or ascites is a chronic condition that may accompany reproductive infection, fatty liver disease, cancer, and in some broilers, heart failure. I have had hens with symptoms of water belly lice a couple of years, but it depends on the cause. I would make her comfortable, and offer her a balanced diet of chicken feed and egg, but limit treats.
The fluid was green and 20cc but the rest drained out on its own from the needle hole. Her poops are runny yellow.

Most of the time ascites fluid is yellow or amber, but green means there is even more bile in it. I would offer some electrolytes in her water for a day or so.

Back
Top Bottom