4 year old Serama suddenly can't walk, help!

Liza728w

Songster
Jul 22, 2020
Southern Ohio
My four year old serama suddenly stopped being able to walk a week ago. She pushes herself backward and her legs go out infront of her. She's never done this before, I've had her ever since she hatched.

I'm feeding her 1cc poultry cell, 200IU vitamin E and Omega egg maker daily. She is continuing to get worse. Any ideas on what I can do?

Two years ago I had a rooster who went through the same thing. After multiple vet visits and no answers, I had to put him to sleep. Hoping I can have better luck this time and not loose my girl. Her best friend is not happy. :(

Attachments

• 17085399540023389616287260586266.jpg
    17085399540023389616287260586266.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 17085399927102780998063276858368.jpg
    17085399927102780998063276858368.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 4
My four year old serama suddenly stopped being able to walk a week ago. She pushes herself backward and her legs go out infront of her. She's never done this before, I've had her ever since she hatched.

I'm feeding her 1cc poultry cell, 200IU vitamin E and Omega egg maker daily. She is continuing to get worse. Any ideas on what I can do?

Two years ago I had a rooster who went through the same thing. After multiple vet visits and no answers, I had to put him to sleep. Hoping I can have better luck this time and not loose my girl. Her best friend is not happy. :(
Poor girl! Hope you can figure something it what she has and she gets better! @azygous @fluffycrow @Wyorp Rock can you help?

It sounds very much like you have an avian virus in your flock. Please describe in what ways this chicken is getting worse.

Also please elaborate on the rooster that died earlier. describe his initial symptoms and what it was like just before you had to euthanize.

Marek's or the leucosis virus start with leg paralysis and the chicken goes downhill generally from there. The virus is carried by every chicken in your flock. It's important to diagnose it so you will know how to manage your flock going forward. The only way to do this is to get a necropsy on this present chicken after she dies.

It sounds very much like you have an avian virus in your flock. Please describe in what ways this chicken is getting worse.

Also please elaborate on the rooster that died earlier. describe his initial symptoms and what it was like just before you had to euthanize.

Marek's or the leucosis virus start with leg paralysis and the chicken goes downhill generally from there. The virus is carried by every chicken in your flock. It's important to diagnose it so you will know how to manage your flock going forward. The only way to do this is to get a necropsy on this present chicken after she dies.

It started with a limp, then she had trouble standing and walking, now she can't walk or stand at all. Her posture continues to get worse as she is "sitting" on her behind instead of laying down. Legs out in front of her. She is constantly trying to preen her booty and shaking her tail which is abnormal for her. Her poops are not passing through well. She had a few big "splats" of poo today instead of pooping smaller and more frequently. She isn't eating as much either.

My rooster from 2 years ago was the same way. Same mannerisms. The vet put him down when he started loosing his ability to be conscious - I wish I put him out of his misery sooner. Definitely won't let this girl get that bad.

Wow - thank you for that information. I have to wonder if it's mareks. I wonder if she can make a break through or if she has a slim chance. Darn.

Sorry about your hen. Do you know if you might have Mareks in your flock? Have you added any new birds recently in the past few months? A chicken sling chair might be helpful for her. You can attach food and water bowls in front. Here is a link and posts 5, 11-14 are good:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Thank you for your advice! No new chickens except a baby from rural king.

I have a sling I made for my old rooster, I will get it out and see if it will work for her.

I have one of these viruses in my flock and I'm well acquainted with the symptoms and progression of the disease. Both Marek's and lymphoid leucosis begin with similar symptoms of leg paralysis, but the onset of the two viruses are different, Marek's usually manifesting when a chicken is just weeks old, while leucosis hits later, three to five months of age.

You can't tell from just the symptoms, though, which virus it is. The organs need to be examined because each virus has its own "trademark". Marek's is identified usually by an inflamed sciatic nerve, while leucosis will leap out at you with an enlarged liver, usually spotted with little white tumors. Both viruses cause tumors, though.

Why it is important to get a necropsy and learn which virus your flock carries is because it will make it much easier to live with knowing what you're dealing with. Marek's is much worse for a flock, resulting in much higher mortality. Leucosis on the other hand is something newly bought chicks can develop resistance to and go on to live long normal lives with proper nutrition and care. Marek's has a vaccination, while leucosis does not. But even vaccinated chicks can still come down with the Marek's virus. Of the two, I would rather be dealing with leucosis, which luckily is the one my flock carries. I've had some chickens reach the very old age of ten, eleven and thirteen years, though I've also had some heart breaks as you've had.

With my last sick chicken, I did not euthanize her myself. I placed her in a well cushioned comfortable box and drove to the state lab where they euthanized her and did the necropsy immediately. It was the second necropsy that has confirmed twice that leucosis is in my flock.

But, it is not a foregone conclusion your hen has an avian virus. It may be a vitamin B deficiency causing the symptoms, although the sickly poop is one of the symptoms of the progression of the virus. I suggest you start treating with vitamin B complex, a high dose of 100mg for each B-vitamin in the complex, found anywhere you buy people vitamins. Give one tablet each day for the next four weeks and wait and watch. If the symptoms halt and then reverse, it's not a virus. If the symptoms keep getting progressively worse, then you will assume you have a virus going on. Then you need to find out which one.

I'm here to lend support and answer any questions.

Back
Top Bottom