4 yr old Head rooster sudden behavior change

Nksg75

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Needville Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Willie (One eyed Willie) as we lovingly call him is a 4yr old CCL that was hatched by me.
He has always kept his distance, and I have never walked around him or coddled him in any way shape or form.
About 2 years ago he had a run in with what I assume was his brothers spur and is blind in one eye.
He has learned to deal with his limited vision, and has been a gentleman with the Hens.
This all seemed to change within the last few weeks. I have noticed him quite a bit more aggressive with some hens, and he started following me around as I go about my daily cleaning of the coop.
It’s a little strange to be in the middle of cleaning off roosts and turn around to see him staring at me intently. This behavior is unusual to say the least.
As far as daily life here, not much has changed except the weather has been extreme. Either it’s pouring rain or it’s windy and cold.
There still out free ranging on a daily basis, so not cooped up inside at all. They even go out when it’s raining lightly.

Willie has not charged or touched me or anyone else for that matter.
This sudden interest He has taken in me has me feeling like there could be trouble in the future.
Could I have inadvertently given the wrong message? (Yes absolutely!) Do I know what it could be? No, not off the top of my head.

So what I am trying to figure out is where to go from here?
How to stop this potential aggressive behavior before it gets to that point.
Thanks for any suggestions!

What is he thinking? Who knows? I'd watch, and be aware, and hope he's not actually thinking bad thoughts. Have you examined him, at night off the roost? Any mites, lice, wounds, or something? Is he loosing weight? Does he have a full crop at bedtime?
I have had two roosters who did become human aggressive at age two, but I think it's unusual, and hope he's not heading in that direction. When you walk 'through' him, is he moving out of your way?
Is he eating? Hungry? Having issues with your other roosters?
Mary

Yes, he does certainly move out of my way when I’m i move through him.
I will be sure to check for any issues tommorow night at roost time.
I see him eat everyday after he finds yummys for his gals.
He is clearly head rooster, and the others (3) get out of his way.
I have 91 hens, yet he gets after the other boys for touching any of his 91 girls, when he catches them.

Good question!
I'd add that this hasn't ever happened here, and I wear many different outfits and color choices out there, as do the rest of the family members who interact with them. People do report this, however.
Chickens recognize faces, so a monster facemask might matter, though I've never tried it!
Mary

I have a funny question, have you changed your boots or coat? I have a rooster and he attacked me because I was wearing a red hoodie, when I stopped wearing it in the co-op he left me alone.
Hmm, yes that has happened to me in the past as well!
I have not changed boots, shirts yes. I try to wear my yucky clothes so no major color changes as far as that goes.
I will have to think if I wore a ball cap lately.

I would be concerned about him, it's my understanding that he's stalking you as a intruder, a threat to his flock, I've had a couple of my roo's that have done that and shortly after started to get stupid.

Back
Top Bottom