40 weeks old - no egg yet

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mamahenAtlanta, Jan 12, 2016.

1. mamahenAtlanta

mamahenAtlanta Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    I guess it's a winter time thing... but blue ameracauna STILL hasn't laid an egg at 40 weeks. Olive egger laid at 23 weeks. All the others are laying daily. What the heck? Is this normal? Will I have to wait until spring?

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

I have read that Aracauna's are NOT good winter layers at all. Maybe this is the problem? You're absolutely certain you have a female too?

3. mamahenAtlanta

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    believe me, I've wondered if I even have a HEN! LOL, but she's lowest on the pecking order and squats all the time. She is so beautiful, the other girls are just jealous of her!

4. mamahenAtlanta

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    And the olive egger quit laying for a couple of months, at the beginning of winter. But she's started back all of a sudden, bigger eggs than ever and nearly every day or every other.

5. Bridebeliever

But this one has NEVER layed? The other possibility is hiding eggs somewhere. Do they free range at all? When did she start squatting for you?

6. mamahenAtlanta

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Never has laid, not one single egg. It's easy to tell, as I only have 5 and I know their egg colors. The run is too small to really hide, and I check everywhere. They are only in a mobile tractor when outside of the run and I check that as well. She has been squatting for several months. I can only think that she matured late, and right as days became short--they don't have artificial light. Just wondering if this is normal, to have never laid for so long! It will probably be worth the wait......!

7. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Why did you write araucana and bold it i'm a bit confused?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  8. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    My ameraucana didn't start laying until december 13th when she was 8 mo old so yours could just be a late starter paired with short days, making her not lay an egg

9. Bridebeliever

I wrote Araucana in bold because the poster is talking about an Ameracauna and I know they are different but similar in some ways.

10. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Mmm thanks I just got a bit confused i see now that you were making a comparison.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by