40 weeks old - no egg yet

mamahenAtlanta

Songster
6 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I guess it's a winter time thing... but blue ameracauna STILL hasn't laid an egg at 40 weeks. Olive egger laid at 23 weeks. All the others are laying daily. What the heck? Is this normal? Will I have to wait until spring?

believe me, I've wondered if I even have a HEN! LOL, but she's lowest on the pecking order and squats all the time. She is so beautiful, the other girls are just jealous of her!

And the olive egger quit laying for a couple of months, at the beginning of winter. But she's started back all of a sudden, bigger eggs than ever and nearly every day or every other.

Never has laid, not one single egg. It's easy to tell, as I only have 5 and I know their egg colors. The run is too small to really hide, and I check everywhere. They are only in a mobile tractor when outside of the run and I check that as well. She has been squatting for several months. I can only think that she matured late, and right as days became short--they don't have artificial light. Just wondering if this is normal, to have never laid for so long! It will probably be worth the wait......!

Back
Top Bottom