I just treated mine for mites. I bathed immediately after dusting them but by the next day I was back to my regular routine. You probably stand just as much a chance picking up some random bugs by walking through the yard. I retreated them with ivomec two days ago and today I picked them up with no problem. Tonight I will take my shower before I go to bed.

lau.gif
I could kick myself for reading thread; I haven't stopped itching since!!!
hide.gif
Oh and to answer the questions....I always wash my hands but do not take a shower.

This will actually be the first time I have ever had to take a shower after reading a post, but I guess it had to happen sooner or later. Gimme about 15 mins...brb.

Sadly, it (mites) will happen again if you continue keeping chickens- BUT now that you are on a vigilant lookout, you will notice them before they get numerous enough that they hitch a ride on you to elsewhere. Or just treat all the chickens and the coop on some decided interval to try to never let them get a good foothold again....

Quote:
No insect phobias. I just don't want this to happen again.

I started to itch just reading this post!

For you, if you are suffering from really dry skin, I have the answer! Go to www.kissofnaturesoap.com and any of these items will make you feel silky soft instead of itchy, scratchy, flakey. Nothing from the grocer's can compare to homemade stuff.
wee.gif

Good luck getting rid of those critters!

Best,
KC

Just dusted all my adult chicks tonight. I might have over did the dusting on them cause I looked like Pillsbury Dough Boy after they were finished. My DH gave me dust mask and safety goggles to wear.

Cleaned out the nests. Shoveled out the coop and put new shavings down. Dusted the nests and the shavings on the floor.

Took out all the water and feeders-Soaked them in bleach water. Will replace in the morning.

Just too tired and dirty to do the month old chicks and the roosters. That will be tomorrow. They are in separate areas. But if I'm doing one I'm doing all.

Came in the house by way of garage and put clothes and shoes in the washer. Next comes shower.

Too bad I don't drink. I deserve one or two tonight.
smile.png

Not a chance! I might be out there messing around the quail cages half a dozen times a day. No way I'm showering that much! My water and sewer bill would be through the roof & I'd be looking for a dermatologist to deal with skin that would be washed away!

Quote:
They shouldn't really bother you - they are host specific.

Only thing is, they bit me!

Most bugs will bite once...if your don't taste good, they will not continue. You (all mammals) are NOT tasty to chicken mites or lice.

Back
Top Bottom