maybe explain the advantage on chickens thingy? I use frontline on my dogs, always wondered if it could be used on the chickens. Plus I just went through the mite thing with my chickens and they got on me in my hair, I just showered and that was it shampoo and water no more mites. oh yeah what is scna forum?

OK everyone not sure if you know this, I learned it from a friend who is a Vet as the San Diego Wild animal park. He stated that frontline is safe off lable for use in birds. I have tested this out many times. I have used frontline on my african grey, i had used it on turkies, oegb, quail, peacocks, gease, ducks, and now my seramas. I get the regular dog frontline. i buy the biggest tube (costs the same as the small tubes and has more medication!!" the potency is the same in the big and small tubes. Then i can get and transfer the liquid in to a 3cc seringe??? with the seramas i placed 2 drops on the back of their neck, on skin, if their is any creepy crawleys on them they are no more with in the next 4 hrs. This is a great trick. well good uick with your birds
~Cara

--------------------
Cara Hamer
Ramona, CA

I'm going to try it. I was wrong though, guess it's frontline. Guess I need to invest.​

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm going to try it. I was wrong though, guess it's frontline. Guess I need to invest.

Before you try something like Frontline or any other product like that I would check with the vet if it's ok to eat the eggs or meat from birds that have been treated with those product. If they are systemic and absorbed into the birds skin, there is a very good chance you will be eating the Fronline when yo consume eggs or meat. Putting it on an ornimemtal bird and putting it on a bird that is used for utility are two totally different things.

Are any of you vets out there??? Can you verify if its safe or not?

True, my birds are ornamental. Seramas (the quote is from a serama forum) are probably not worth the effort to eat, and we are not eating the eggs.

about the frontline, my vet told me several years ago that frontline stays on the skin of dogs because they don't have pores to draw it into their bodies like us. I was worried about using a chemical on my dogs long term. Not sure about chickens I know they pant when hot so maybe they don't have pores either I used ivermectin pouron on my ducks and chickens for the mites we had, cleaned out all the old bedding in their houses and sprayed top to bottom with sevin concentrate. then did it again in 10 days. So far no mites, even went into their house at night to see if I could see any crawling on their perches or walls. I think with the hot weather we've all had it has made for alot more mites problems than we've ever had. I have to say I was very reluctant to use chemicals period but DE and dust bathing just wasn't getting it at all. I wouldn't use frontline unless found out from vet or someone who knew it was safe to use for chickens.

Awhile back, I asked my vet about using Frontline on chickens, and he said it should work and be safe. When I had a mite problem several years ago, I used Ivermectin (and it works for de-worming, scaly leg mites and NFM). Frontline works on the surface of the chicken like it would a dog, Vet told me. I have not had a mite problem for several years (knocking on wood), but unlike some other areas of the country, it has been unusually dry here this summer (drought-like) so not very conducive for mites.

IMHO, I also found, several years ago, that straw (as in hay straw) helped harbor mites. I eliminated the use of hay in the coop and used pine or cedar shavings instead (as needed).

Any flea/tick sprays/oils get into the system of the animal, not just on the skin, as I understood it. It's absorbed through the skin. Vet says differently, but I'm not convinced. If it just stayed on the skin, then seems it would only kill pests that walked across the application site. Personally, I think there are many other ways to eradicate pests on chickens. Not sure what exactly is in Frontline. If it's just invermectin, that is a wormer we use on chickens anyway, but if other ingredients, well, use at your own risk, just like every other off-label med that the general population uses on their birds.

Back
Top Bottom