42-day wonders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correction: Apparently someone has reposted all of my "lost" replies to this thread.

Last edited:
Quote:
I know this was directed at another person, however I just wanted to say that while the undomesticated jungle fowl evolved in a jungle, Gallus gallus was developed in confinement. Be it small pens or cages. The separate breeds, varieties, etc. were made from selective breedings. The Cornish X's that are used in broiler productions were developed in...you guess it...pens on the floor of broiler houses. Very secure houses mind you, but nonetheless...broiler houses.

Wow....this is an angry thread....How about America is neat because we can choose to go to the store to get cheap mass produced scientifically approved chicken meat or get farm raised chicken meat locally or even raise it yourself. Yeah! Choices are great. We obviously all feel differently about industry vs independent farming and ...corn and have stated why. So where this leaves off is that I am now never going to California and am definitely raising my own meat birds. Because that is my choice.

thumbsup.gif

Completely agree Nikki, it's entirely each person's choice. It's just when others degrade another person's ideals and personal decisions is when we go into that "bad" area. Goes for both industrial and personally raised birds.

Last edited:
Quote:
I know this was directed at another person, however I just wanted to say that while the undomesticated jungle fowl evolved in a jungle, Gallus gallus was developed in confinement. Be it small pens or cages. The separate breeds, varieties, etc. were made from selective breedings. The Cornish X's that are used in broiler productions were developed in...you guess it...pens on the floor of broiler houses. Very secure houses mind you, but nonetheless...broiler houses.

Ok, let me rephrase it for more accuracy.

Chickens did not ORIGINATE in broiler houses or little cages, even though the broilers such as Cornish X and Ross Cobb were developed expressly for raising in broiler houses.

Silkies did not evolve in the jungle either, or other domestic breeds as far as I know. The ORIGINAL chickens did. Other breeds that followed were developed in domesticity, of many different styles of keeping and breeding chickens.

My point was that we DO have the right to choose, and the person I directed the post to had been carrying on like it was somehow horribly inhumane to free-range your chickens, and how inhumane we are if we butcher them at home because we're not set up to use electrical stunning. There were other points as well, but that's the gist of it.

If somebody else chooses to raise Cornish X, I don't care. If they raise thousands of them commercially, I don't care. What irks me is being told that it's the only way to do it right, the rest of us are wrong, (or stupid, or inhumane, or immoral, or whatever) to even consider trying something else, or choosing another breed.

Grok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom