43 chickens and a dream

CWA131419

In the Brooder
So...I ordered 32 chickens. Then my parents had my 5&6 yo that really wanted ducks and I ended up with 2 ducks and 11 more chickens. It’s fine possibly... We have all the lumber to build something great. I’m think to separate coops they can freely go into. The ducks are a PIA everything is wet. TMI I just want to see the coops y’all use for 40 chickens. Once I figure out which ones are roosters I’m going to give them away. It’s all going down this weekend. Show me your large coops please!

So...I ordered 32 chickens. Then my parents had my 5&6 yo that really wanted ducks and I ended up with 2 ducks and 11 more chickens. It’s fine possibly... We have all the lumber to build something great. I’m think to separate coops they can freely go into. The ducks are a PIA everything is wet. TMI I just want to see the coops y’all use for 40 chickens. Once I figure out which ones are roosters I’m going to give them away. It’s all going down this weekend. Show me your large coops please!

How about a couple buildings from home depot ? might be cheapest

Welcome!
The best coops I've seen, and wish I had, are Woods coops. There are pictures here, and plans, and a book written with details.
My coop started as a shed type building, and we added an 'annex', and then a roofed run, and a small fifth separate section inside, so there are potentially five areas that can be closed off, or all left open. It's all on an old concrete foundation, with as old concrete floor, and works very well for our flock of about that size. Outside dimensions about 14'x24'. Older photos, sorry.
IMG_0222.JPG IMG_0223.JPG IMG_0224.JPG
Mary

Show me your large coops please!
Have you seen these?:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/large-coops.20/
...and/or....
We have all the lumber to build something great.
Instead of thinking 'coop', think 'large shed' with some additions...big(12" or more) roof overhangs all the way around, with open soffits covered with 1/2" hardware cloth for year round ventilation and top hinged awning style windows for ventilation even during rain in summer.
...and of course roosts and nests.

It’s all going down this weekend.
You do know it'll take more than one weekend...unless you have a full crew with prodigious skills.

Separate coop and run for ducks...because of the wet mess.

There's a few good reads linked in my signature.....let me know if you can't access them.

I greatly prefer my ducks segregated from my chickens...clean-up is easier.

But if the chickens are all standard size... I rather like them all in the same big coop... with a removable partition under one poop shelf for a small broody hen area, or chick grow out spot...whatever. If that area under the poop shelf had it's own run, even better.

But I have also been very happy with tractors for broody hens, chicks, and breeding trios... and then everyone back together for winter.

I don't put any water or feed in my duck's coop or my chicken's coop so I don't have to deal with a mess or rodents.

They are all let out at 4:30 a.m. and they go eat and drink at that time.

All my nesting boxes are inside the coops, I like walking in the coop to get my eggs.

My ducks and chickens are in separate free range areas as well. I don't know if I have drakes yet and I didn't want there to be aggression that will ruin the vibes in our flocks.

Back
Top Bottom