45 week old Ameraucanas still not laying!

I hate to say this, but I know how you feel. One of my pullets is 43 weeks old and the others are roughly around the same age. I sold two of my girls (the 43 week old's hatchmates) and three days later, the OE that I sold laid her first egg. Later that night, I felt the pubic bones on all of my girls and only two of the four that I have left are even close to point of lay.

Good luck and hope yours begin to lay soon now that the days are growing long again.

Thanks for the support guys - yes, I've got the age correct. Got them as day olds and recorded the event in my blog.
I didn't think about feeling the pubic bones, but I've never done that so I'd have to do a little research in order to know what I'm feeling for. Isn't it getting three vs. two fingers between the bones? You know, their combs are small, and the black one is definitely the reddest, especially around the face, but the other grey ones are not as red. I just never thought I'd wait this long. My kids have stopped expecting eggs from those birds. They just view them as yard decorations now, LOL.

:)

I've got two americaunas and one turned out to be a layer...they turned one year old three weeks ago and I've finally given up that she will lay. I was talking to a brooder and he told me that they are a more likely breed to be "barren". My girl goes to the slaughter house next month and I'm adding three new girls in her place.

Back
Top Bottom