48 hour long hatch?? Advice please!!! (first time hatching)

phrogg

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Monday, Ohio
So.... this is one part of the process I guess I kinda forgot to research.... I guess
I had 17 eggs set in the bator. Beginning saturday morning they started hatching, and the last one (of 12 chicks) hatched yesterday (sunday) morning. All chicks went to the brooder yesterday evening. There are still 5 eggs in the bator. Only one is beginning to zip, and doing so VERY Slowly. It was pipped yesterday at 12:00 pm and only half way zipped right now (18 hours later). The other four eggs in there are not even pipped. Two are green eggs, so I couldn't really see embryos when candling, but the one brown egg that is not pipped has a check mark on it meaning I could see a develping embryo.
21 days from when they went in the bator was yesterday at 4:00pm exactly. I've heard people say to wait untill day 22 I think.
I am just unsure about this, it was easy when they were all hatching early. How long should I wait? If one is taking forever to zip should I help? That one was peeping inside the egg last night.
I'm just worried that these eggs are like 48 hours behind the others, i doesn't seem right to me. What should I do?
Thanks for any advice in advance.

I wouldn't help. (Well I would, but you shouldn't you're supposed to let namture take it's course) Sometimes chicks can take longer. I'd give more time.

My call duck was stuck in the egg for about 2 days, I did not want it to die but I also did not want to kill it. I took the chance of killing it and I cracked its shell a little more so that he could push itself out the rest of the way. It is now 3 weeks old and and doing better than ever. If the chick really wants out help it maybe just a little. I would not suggest pulling the peep out.

home from work and still no more pips. The one that was peeping last night did not make it. I opened up the egg after jarring the bator a little and hearing no peep. The membrane was a little dry, chik was obviously expired upon removal from shell.
My guess is that the rest of the eggs are done for. I'll probably wait until morning and then discard them. I suppose I should open them up and examine though huh?

Maybe I can figure out what went wrong that way. At least the kiddies have 12 Easter chicks to play with
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom