4ft by 8ft Lean to Chicken Coop (Build In Progress)

Bulkbackup4

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
Bucks County, Pa
These first two pictures are of the coop after the first day of building. The coop has a base of 3- 4x4" pt landscape timber. The floor framing is 2x4"with a 4x8ft plywood floor with textured plastic bathroom wall sheet over top for easy cleaning. The walls are 2x3" the tall 8ft long wall is 7 1/2ft and the 8ft short wall is 6ft. The two end walls are/will be 6ft tall. The studs are 16 inch on center, except for the ends which are 14 3/8 inch on center.

Any Comments either way are appreciated.
big_smile.png

I have 3 RiRs and hope to add five or six more Orpingtons and/or Plymouth Barred Rocks. For a total of 8 or 9 chickens. Very nice coop by the way.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I have 3 RiRs and hope to add five or six more Orpingtons and/or Plymouth Barred Rocks. For a total of 8 or 9 chickens. Very nice coop by the way.
thumbsup.gif

I have reduced my flock to 10 hens and 1 roo, and although they are not fully grown, I believe that my coop will be sufficient.

Thanks for the compliment; it's not yet finished, but I plan to go back to work on it in earnest now that the weather is cooler. I have designed and built a light controlled pop door opener/closer and plan to install it later this week.

Progress update as of 10/3:

The rot free siding is on, chicken door cut, my access cut out, as well as the drip edge, tar paper, and 95% shingles. I just need to figure out how to finish off the last row of shingles so it holds up to the elements. I have the lumber and hardware for my door so that will be done by next week. I have some fiberglass insulation laying around which will be covered by the same bathroom pvc sheets as the floor. Just need some windows, paint, and put some hardware cloth in between the rafter gaps. And build the run and i'll have a much better set up.

Back
Top Bottom