4H-er Wanting to Lean More

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ngratz05, Dec 23, 2014.

1. ngratz05

ngratz05 New Egg

Dec 22, 2014
    I'm 4H-er and I currently have a flock of about 50 chicken. My sister and I share the duties of taking care of these birds. We have been the county grand and reserve grand champion the past two years. We enjoy our chickens very much. Lately we have been researching about call ducks. We are very interested in expanding and buying some of these little guys this winter. Unfortunately, I cannot find any hatcheries that sell them and have had no luck on Craigslist. Any recommendations on where I could find some at a descent price? Or even hatch some of their eggs. This brings me to my second question. We are very interested in breeding our cochins. I have begun looking into some show stock birds. I would like to start this project small before I get a lot of money wrapped up into it. I have an incubator and three coops. I'm thinking we should start by breeding black cochins. I don't want to do anything crazy like blue or and kind of lacing. Where could I find some information on this? I have done some research about using the incubator. But I have not found very many resources for breeding the chickens. If anyone has any advice, rescources, or contacts, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You've been doing great with your birds, I think you should be writing some advice columns on BYC. If you go to "Other Backyard Poultry" forum above, you will find threads on ducks. The folks there should be able to answer your guestions. I don't know much about them. You could also go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum to locate and post on your state threads. You may be able to find breeders (ducks and cochins) in your area so you could see before you buy.

Welcome to Backyard chickens, so glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations on your success in showing your chickens. I would love to see some pics of them. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. Definitely post on our duck section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks and take advantage of our experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

4. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I just did a quick "google" search for Call Ducks for Sale and a hatchery by the name of eFowl came up. It looks like they are sold out for this year but maybe they would be a source for 2015 (which is right around the corner). I am not personally familiar with them but maybe other members are. Here's the link if you're interested:
    http://www.efowl.com/Call_Duck_for_Sale_s/21.htm

Purely Poultry also sells them (also out for this year):
    https://www.purelypoultry.com/call-ducks-c-256_246.html

Nice to have you join us and good luck finding the ducks you want!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Go to the top of this page to find the search bar.

Post your question.

This site is a wealth of information!

And...Welcome to BYC!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Congratulations on all of your poultry success!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

9. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by