4H mama hello!

groupps

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2024
Thanks for the add! My son and I got a few chickens a year ago for his 4H project. We got some chicks this spring of some different breeds he wanted to try showing. Always looking for advice from those with more experience. We have a couple buff orpingtons and road island red year old hens. And 5 week old Cochins and silver laced Wyandottes.

Thanks for the add! My son and I got a few chickens a year ago for his 4H project. We got some chicks this spring of some different breeds he wanted to try showing. Always looking for advice from those with more experience. We have a couple buff orpingtons and road island red year old hens. And 5 week old Cochins and silver laced Wyandottes.
Not many breeds that I know of from hatcheries are up to the breed standards. Some hatcheries do have a limited number of breeds to the standards that have been set for the breed. Cackle hatchery advertises Rhode Island Reds that are show quality and Murray McMurray offers a line of the crested Polish that are to the standard.

hi there! I’m so glad you joined us. Welcome to BYC.!! :welcome

Not many breeds that I know of from hatcheries are up to the breed standards. Some hatcheries do have a limited number of breeds to the standards that have been set for the breed. Cackle hatchery advertises Rhode Island Reds that are show quality and Murray McMurray offers a line of the crested Polish that are to the standard.
I got 6 Cochins and 6 silver laced Wyandottes from McMurrry. I hope out of 12 we can get a few that look decent. We’ll sell the rest. I’m waiting on the APA SOP book to come. I don’t know how long we’ll need to grow them out to tell.

1712783733513.png

Back
Top Bottom