~* 4th annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey/Chicken hatchathon! *~

Only 3 of my 12 eggs made it to lock down!
1f62d.png

I put 8 in lockdown, but a couple looked iffy. There were a lot of clears or early quitters that looked like from the same bird. Suprisingly, a lot of the tiny pullet eggs made it to lockdown & look really good. There were a couple clears there too though. Overall, not bad out of 18 eggs with 2 young pullets giving most of the eggs.

I was hoping you'd get more than that :/ at least you got a few to lockdown. You'll have to post pictures after hatch.

You'll have to pm me your cell or e-mail. For some reason my cell won't load pix to BYC.

You'll have to pm me your cell or e-mail. For some reason my cell won't load pix to BYC.

If you email them to yourself from your phone you can upload them.  That is how I upload the pictures. 

I have 3 little chicks out now, and a couple more are zipping. 

That only works if you have something other than your phone to access e-mail & BYC from. I don't have a computer. I do everything from my cell.

Is it normal to not be able to see much of any movement in Turkey eggs just before hatch? I know that you're not supposed to open the incubator or anything during lockdown but mine doesn't lose humidity or temp when I do it so I did a quick candle. today is day 26 and of the 6 I have in lockdown, I could only see obvious movement in 2 of them. They were developing and strong before lockdown. I did have a temp drop overnight on Sunday night down to 95°. really hoping I didn't lose most of them.

Is it normal to not be able to see much of any movement in Turkey eggs just before hatch? I know that you're not supposed to open the incubator or anything during lockdown but mine doesn't lose humidity or temp when I do it so I did a quick candle. today is day 26 and of the 6 I have in lockdown, I could only see obvious movement in 2 of them. They were developing and strong before lockdown. I did have a temp drop overnight on Sunday night down to 95°. really hoping I didn't lose most of them.
I feel it is quite normal to not see much of any movement that close to hatch day. They are very big filling the egg and not having much room to squirm, they will make movements when they pip and zip then often take long rests

Most of the movement I see in mine if candle right before hatch is the internal membrane fluttering.

Well my last pipped egg finally hatched.

So 6 of 11 turkey eggs hatched.

1 bourbon red
2 narri cross
3 spanish black/bourbon red cross

I don't worry about movement when I go into lockdown - I just verify that the egg is filled and doesn't look like late demise. If I see it, I'm thrilled, but if I don't see anything I don't sweat it. This lockdown I had little bills wiggling in all of my air cells. That's actually pretty unusual, because I usually have them in lockdown before they bust into that space. 95 wasn't a huge drop in temperature, so unless the temp was low for hours, everyone should be fine. Putting eggs into cooldown during incubation will do something similar, and since I incubate waterfowl and other birds together, everyone gets a daily cooldown and misting, and most everyone makes it to lockdown without a problem.

Back
Top Bottom