4wk BR "brooding" 2-3 day old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silverfilly, Mar 17, 2009.

1. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Just had to share this oh so cute pic of one of my 4 wk old BR that has taken to brooding the day olds. all the chicks are 2-3 days old. This little BR took right to them and does not leave them alone. thing is I bought her as a dayold pullet but her comb is bigger than the others and I was thinking she might be a him? what do yall think?

[​IMG]

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Kind of hard to tell from the pic. Did it have larger than average head spot? What color are the legs? It's over all coloring does look a bit light, so if it doesn't have a lot of black was on its legs and did have a large head spot, I would say boy.

3. chickensforever

chickensforever Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Oh they're so cute!! [​IMG]

About the possible rooster, I think it's too soon to tell. I had the same problem a few years ago when I got my first chicks and one just turned out to have a bigger comb.

4. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    how sweet is that??? Thanks for sharing the cute pic.

I'm not any help in the sexing department... I have 5 week-old cuckoo marans and I'm still perplexed, but good luck to you! That one's a keeper no matter the sex!

5. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    If it is a roo, it would be the 2nd broodie I've seen! Nice to see the teenagers taking care of the babies!

6. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    well his comb is bigger and he is much lighter than the other one, almost silvery and his baring is a lot more prominent. So I duno guess we will see

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by