4wk Ducklings won't come out of pool

saranda22

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2020
Hello
I have 4 wk old Indian Runner Ducklings who won't come out of the pool unless called.
They can get out, it's 85 degrees outside, and they have lost of shade.
They come out to eat and then immediately go right back in.

Is this okay? They love the water.
I read somewhere that ducklings can get waterlogged but don't know what age.

Thank you

That's so funny.

Well its funny as long as nothing happens.

They do love water.

So they can get out anytime they want right? And the water itself is pretty warm from the sun?

If their body temperature can keep itself up without problems it might be OK. Do they look cold, or more like they love it all?

If they are in trying to warm themselves up from the pool, it might be good to make sure they eat a lot. (But not too much.)

That's so funny.

Well its funny as long as nothing happens.

They do love water.

So they can get out anytime they want right? And the water itself is pretty warm from the sun?
Yes they can get out anytime and the pool is in the shade so it stays cool. I had the pool in the sun but within minutes the water would get hot so I moved it to the shade.

Yes they can get out anytime and the pool is in the shade so it stays cool. I had the pool in the sun but within minutes the water would get hot so I moved it to the shade.

Maybe someone with more experience will comment on this. I am curious what they will say. I can't say I know the most and haven't had mine too long.

But I do have runners also. Mine are about 7 weeks, and about a week ago when I started to go out to feed them they started sounding like a small kazoo band. Its totally hilarious!

ducks love water, especially in summer. my flock spends all day just floating around in their pools. as long as they can get out easily.

they’ll love you even more if you make them some pool treats! cut up a bunch of veggies and mealworms in a plastic bowl and put water in it, then freeze it. throw the frozen treat block in the pool and they’ll spend a lot of time breaking it and eating the treats

Hello
I have 4 wk old Indian Runner Ducklings who won't come out of the pool unless called.
They can get out, it's 85 degrees outside, and they have lost of shade.
They come out to eat and then immediately go right back in.

Is this okay? They love the water.
I read somewhere that ducklings can get waterlogged but don't know what age.

Thank you

That is very funny to me too. My Pekin ducks spend all day in my lake in the backyard. Ducks, naturally love the water. As long as they aren't shivering or cold then I wouldn't worry about it. Ducks love the water!

They can get waterlogged but if they can easily take themselves out of the water when it gets to be too much for them they're probably fine. Are you bringing them inside/locking them up away from the water at night, so they have someplace to fully dry off and warm up? My Pekin's fluff started to change into real feathers around 4 weeks and they were tough to get out of the water then.

My Campbell Nero squeakers are 8 weeks old and have been out since they were 6 weeks old - they also choose to spend all day chilling in their pond, sometimes swimming but mostly just floating silently (they are super noisy when they are out and about marauding and making mischief).

I fretted for a while, now I find it quite soothing to watch them.

Back
Top Bottom