4x8 coop issues with roosting and laying space

lindy

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Oregon
i have a 4x8 coop that has one nesting box that was built on the outside(actually the size of two), they are finally using that one but i put four stacked milk cratesand one milk crate in the back which they use sometimes, with a 4x8 and i cant get them to use those at all. in the winter i have issues with very dirty eggs due to tracking thru the mud and the poop from roosting. I scoop out the floor from poop every morning in the coop. any suggestions on how to make it so the birds dont walk thru the poop to get to the nest boxes or any photos of a 4x8 coop layout. Someone suggested i can put nest boxes in the run. the coop is inside a dog kennel run(with hardware cloth half the height and bird netting on top. with one solid wall

Picture of your set up would be helpful.
How many chickens do you have?
What's your bedding?
All of this. YOUR photos would really help as it doesn't matter what someone else does in a similar size coop, we need to figure out what's going on in yours.

Also what's the litter in the run? If the run is muddy they're going to track mud in from the outside no matter what bedding you use.

in the winter i use shavings but right now i dont use anything, and just scrape it in the morning. THe run is clay with lots of fill rocks on it. i havent figured out what i can use for the run without having to scoop it out or make pools or water in the winter.

i have alot of birds now.... 11 full size(legbar/silverudd'sblue), 7 birds born this spring(silverudd's). this includes the two young roos i need to get rid of since they didnt pass the blue egg gene sadly. and will have three more girls when they are old enough. I know i need to build another run next year but this year i dont have the time. They free range 3-4 days a week when im home. I have to many predators when im not home to leave them out.

in the winter i use shavings but right now i dont use anything, and just scrape it in the morning. THe run is clay with lots of fill rocks on it. i havent figured out what i can use for the run without having to scoop it out or make pools or water in the winter.
No bedding in coop and no litter in run = no matter how you set up your nests, you will get soiling inside. Not sure why you only use litter part of the year?

We'd still need photos regardless if you're looking to change your layout.

No bedding in coop and no litter in run = no matter how you set up your nests, you will get soiling inside. Not sure why you only use litter part of the year?

We'd still need photos regardless if you're looking to change your layout.
i cant get any, and bagged shavings is alot. i am on the list for a dump truck load though. ok will do. thank you all!

i have a 4x8 coop that has one nesting box that was built on the outside(actually the size of two), they are finally using that one but i put four stacked milk cratesand one milk crate in the back which they use sometimes, with a 4x8 and i cant get them to use those at all. in the winter i have issues with very dirty eggs due to tracking thru the mud and the poop from roosting. I scoop out the floor from poop every morning in the coop. any suggestions on how to make it so the birds dont walk thru the poop to get to the nest boxes or any photos of a 4x8 coop layout. Someone suggested i can put nest boxes in the run. the coop is inside a dog kennel run(with hardware cloth half the height and bird netting on top. with one solid wall

updated- i use horse pellet bedding now on top of the linoleum flooring, hay/shavings in the nest boxes. I tried to change it up and used a leftover 1x4 fence section for the roosts(has a bunch of 1x4 almost 4 feet long about 10 inches apart). I put tin under it to catch the poop but it doesnt work well to clean, so i changed it again and used chains to hang the tin but it still doesnt work. I need ideas if possible. i have to crawl under it to get to the nest boxes in the back. My coop is 4x8- 4x6 foot tall. walk door is on the 4 foot side. i can move the nest boxes around and can take down the roosting bars but i dont know how to make it better for 19 birds. they are not large but still need the room to roost.
Im thinking i need to just make a nest box area in the run on the solid wall side?. They only are in the coop when sleeping and laying.

- my weather isnt terrible but it does rain a ton. still working on keeping the run from getting a puddle.
they also free range now most of the day

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom