5 ‘chicks’. One faint rooster crow-help?

I think the barred rock is the only definite cockerel. It's very easy to sex barred rocks because males are significantly lighter in overall color than females. Plus he has the beginnings of the narrow, pointed male specific feathers just popping through.

The two bearded Easter eggers are for sure pullets.

That leaves the paler birds. Those are still questionable in my eyes. They do have large, very red combs and wattles, and the combs are upright. But they have zero in the way of male specific feathering, and by 15 weeks, they should. So give them a few more weeks and post again if it is not clear.

So it probably is a dominant copper and the guy at the store should have been able to tell as a brand new chick.
Possibly at least.. Most store owners would be clueless and as middle men will sell as what they are told.

I think the browner ones are the color packs, and the white and white/black are the easter eggers? Maybe I'm backwards there.
Ya, backwards.

I think the barred rock is the only definite cockerel. It's very easy to sex barred rocks because males are significantly lighter in overall color than females. Plus he has the beginnings of the narrow, pointed male specific feathers just popping through.

The two bearded Easter eggers are for sure pullets.

That leaves the paler birds. Those are still questionable in my eyes. They do have large, very red combs and wattles, and the combs are upright. But they have zero in the way of male specific feathering, and by 15 weeks, they should. So give them a few more weeks and post again if it is not clear.
Thank you. And I finally caught the crow in action just a bit ago after I started this thread. The barred/copper sexlink was the culprit as identified by all of you.

Back
Top Bottom