5 1/2 month old black australorp is sick!!!

ChickenLover172

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
North Carolina
Please help!! My black australorp has been sneezing very loudly for the past 2 days and this morning I discovered a bloody poop in their coop!!! I am going to put some apple cider vinegar in their water today because it's supposed to keep them healthy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know what to do so I can cure my sweet little Special.
fl.gif

The sneezing may be due to dust, but it could also mean a respiratory disease. Is she acting sick ,or just sneezing? If she seems sick, its probably a respiratory disease. I'd start treating with antibiotics; some good antibiotics are Tylan50 injectable (this is probably the best one for a respiratory disease), Duramycin, Terramycin, and Erythromycin (all these are water soluable- if she's not drinking, they won't work well). You should be able to find these antibiotics at a feed store or livestock supply store.

If you haven't already, isolate her from the other birds. Make sure that she is eating and drinking; if she's not eating, try tempting her with moistened chicken feed, scrambled eggs, or a favorite treat.

The bloody droppings could be two things: a sign of Coccidiosis, and shed intestinal lining. She's a little old to be getting Coccidiosis, but it is still possible, especially if her immune system is weakened by another disease. It could also be shed intestinal lining, which is normal. If it is Coccidiosis, you'll probably notice her acting sleepy and lethargic as well. Coccidiosis should be treated with Corid, either powder or liquid. Corid can be found in the livestock section of a feed or livestock supply store.

If your bird is acting sick and lethargic, you'll need to treat possibly for both diseases. You can treat birds with both Corid and antibiotics at the same time, but it is usually better to not, as both substances are hard on a bird's system. I'd treat for the Coccidiosis first, as it can kill faster, unless she is having a hard time breathing.

The sneezing may be due to dust, but it could also mean a respiratory disease. Is she acting sick ,or just sneezing? If she seems sick, its probably a respiratory disease. I'd start treating with antibiotics; some good antibiotics are Tylan50 injectable (this is probably the best one for a respiratory disease), Duramycin, Terramycin, and Erythromycin (all these are water soluable- if she's not drinking, they won't work well). You should be able to find these antibiotics at a feed store or livestock supply store.

If you haven't already, isolate her from the other birds. Make sure that she is eating and drinking; if she's not eating, try tempting her with moistened chicken feed, scrambled eggs, or a favorite treat.

The bloody droppings could be two things: a sign of Coccidiosis, and shed intestinal lining. She's a little old to be getting Coccidiosis, but it is still possible, especially if her immune system is weakened by another disease. It could also be shed intestinal lining, which is normal. If it is Coccidiosis, you'll probably notice her acting sleepy and lethargic as well. Coccidiosis should be treated with Corid, either powder or liquid. Corid can be found in the livestock section of a feed or livestock supply store.

If your bird is acting sick and lethargic, you'll need to treat possibly for both diseases. You can treat birds with both Corid and antibiotics at the same time, but it is usually better to not, as both substances are hard on a bird's system. I'd treat for the Coccidiosis first, as it can kill faster, unless she is having a hard time breathing.

Thanks for your advice:) She is not acting sick at all actually she is just sneezing a lot, mainly in the morning and evenings. I will check and see how much she is eating and drinking and make sure that the droppings arnt abnormal

Back
Top Bottom