5/20/12 starting incubation batch of 12 eggs - anyone else want to join ?

rosiethechicken

Songster
9 Years
Aug 2, 2010
I am starting incubation of 12 chicken eggs on 5/20/12 evening.
I got the eggs from local and some of them were sitting on the table for 3 days at 70 F.

Hopefully I learned my lessons with previous homemade incubator experiment.

This incubator is a styrofoam from kmart. Hooked up with a 40w bulb and a home made electronic temperature sensor / thermostat
for automated temp control.

I am going dry hatching route.

For last 24 hours, the temperature is holding at 99.5 range.

Feel free to join this thread if you started around 5/20/12.

I set my last bunch on the 17th. Is that close enuf? There are a couple ducks in that last mix so some will be right before yours & some will be right after.

I set my last bunch on the 17th. Is that close enuf? There are a couple ducks in that last mix so some will be right before yours & some will be right after.

Sure, anything is close enough :) . When do you candle your eggs usually ?

This is my 1st hatch actually. I have 85 eggs either in the bator or under the broody with hatches scheduled every few days from May 30th to June 14th and 13 duck eggs in the mix. I candle a few every 3-4 days just to make sure I still have wigglers & then don't worry about it. 80+ eggs is just too many to candle...lol

The last batch I set was on the 17th with 42 chicks scheduled for bator hatch on 6/7, another 4 under the broody for the same day & 2 ducks scheduled for 6/14. Then I have the whole new shipment of Silkies (24+) coming a couple days later & another mixed setting for the same time of assorted chicks of 12+ eggs.

I really gotta get some of what I already have sold...LOL

I did candle the eggs last night. Difficult to see anything yet. But in one, I did not light blood vessels close to aircell
but a dark round, small bean like spot at the bottom. I thought the black spot is usually eye and it doesnt develop
until later in the incubation. Not sure what it is. Will post pics if I can get.

Its close to day 7 and I can see veins in 10 out of 12 eggs. I am going to leave the two in there and check later on 14th day may be. Its really hard to resist candling them every day :)

Back
Top Bottom