5/21/10 Update~Chicks have arrived! New pictures on page 3!

Adorable! The squint may be from a little scratch-eyes heal fast if thats what it is so it should be better tomorrow. I've posted the following taming method for chicks on several threads; it seems to work well:

Start with a small brooder so that you don't have to 'chase' the chicks with your hand to pick them up. Talk softly while you are approching the brooder, move slowly and put your hand in slowly, palm up.

Slip your hand under the chick's tummy, cup your other hand over her and lift her gently to the area of your chest just under you chin. You want your hands to sort of form an 'egg' around the chick with her head sticking out. NOW THE IMPORTANT PART: Allow warm air to envelope the area around the chick in the 'egg' formed by your hands by putting your mouth just above the chick and using sort of a 'haaaaaaaaaaaah' breath. They tend to relax immediately. When they relax and sit down in your hand, you can then use your thumb or forefinger to gently stroke the area behind the little ears and back of the neck. They learn quickly that your hand is a good thing. Do this several times a day with each one.

If your brooder isn't small, try this trick to lure them to your hand; make a small dark dot on your palm to entice them to come 'peck the dot'. Once one starts, usually several others will join in. It becomes a competition for them and before they know it they are gently lifted off the ground. I don't use real food; I prefer that they learn from the start that 'hands are for loving'. When I was little, I remember my mother telling me not to handle the chicks; it would make them sick. Obviously, that was not the case (she didn't want me to get dirty). I'm not sure but I think I was an adult before I figured this out. So its OK; you can handle your chicks - just be gentle -they're so tiny....

I have added chicks to my brooders as much as 3 weeks different in ages. Got 4 to begin with, one died, added 2 a week later, 2 more the next week, and another 2 two weeks later. 1 to 3 weeks difference isn't all that much. (It "allowed" me to keep my oldest chicks in the house until they were 12 wks old, because I wanted to put them all outside full time at the SAME time, and the youngest needed to be 8 wks old.)

Also, when will they be old enough to start exploring the outdoors? They are starting to get a little bored and I'm trying my best to keep them busy!

I live in the south so I put mine outside earlier than most suggest on this site; most say to wait until they are fully feathered. Mine were out at 9 days old, but our low temps have been near 80 degrees. Let us know how Jilly's little eye is doing and how taming is going...

I lost a chick to drowning in the waterer yesterday. She fell asleep with her head in it and aspirated some water. Poor baby! I have marbles in mine now!!

i love your photo!!!!! "eat more cow"!!!!!!
so cute
smile.png

Quote:

The chicks are a little friendlier. I spent two hours today reading to them and dangling my hand in the brooder. All the chicks were very interested in my bracelet, lol. They're still skittish though. But change can't happen over night! Jilly is still squinting, but her pasty butt almost went away.
smile.png
That worries me about the chick drowning*gulps*. Do you think I should put some marbels in?

I am totally glued to this thread. My chickens come next week and this will be a totally new experience for me. Unfortunately there are 25 of them (the minimum). I have all my equipment and I'm going to set it up today in the kitchen. I'm trying to decide between a dog crate and a horse trough. The crate is enclosed on all side, the trough is open on the top. I'm really worried about leaving them during the day as I work, and from reading this it sounds like they really need vigilance the first few days. Besides, I just want to watch them! Anyways -- thank you all for sharing. It really helps.

Back
Top Bottom