5.5 week old pullets, breed question

Godscountryfarm

Chirping
Apr 29, 2023
Two pullets, thinking the top one is a black sex link. I am not sure of the second. Thank you!

Attachments

• 4B66C59B-3B38-4435-9387-28B0E60F1744.jpeg
    4B66C59B-3B38-4435-9387-28B0E60F1744.jpeg
    485.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 6B3E2034-72F3-4950-A384-59FBA1B7FA8D.jpeg
    6B3E2034-72F3-4950-A384-59FBA1B7FA8D.jpeg
    416.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 62D56922-D844-4E82-8365-6E53E638C72C.jpeg
    62D56922-D844-4E82-8365-6E53E638C72C.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DFA581D0-30F9-4ACA-8ED5-ACD3BDA80290.jpeg
    DFA581D0-30F9-4ACA-8ED5-ACD3BDA80290.jpeg
    479.1 KB · Views: 19
Where were they purchased from?

Was the bald spot always there or is this a new development?
The bald spots are on both sides and have always been there.
I bought them from a local amish farm. The chicks I ordered that the bottom one may possibly be are Olive Egger, jersey Giant, mystic maran or black sex link.

I bought them from a local amish farm. The chicks I ordered that the bottom one may possibly be are Olive Egger, jersey Giant, mystic maran or black sex link.
Okay, so to me since they come from a farm it's very possible they are mixes. The first could be a naked neck mix, maybe with a black sex link. To me it looks like it could be a cockerel since it has a pretty big comb for its age. I'm just guessing at this stage, though. Later on it should be easier to tell.

The second does look like a for sure pullet, and could be a black sex link.

Okay,
Okay, so to me since they come from a farm it's very possible they are mixes. The first could be a naked neck mix, maybe with a black sex link. To me it looks like it could be a cockerel since it has a pretty big comb for its age. I'm just guessing at this stage, though. Later on it should be easier to tell.

The second does look like a for sure pullet, and could be a black sex link.
thank you! Just looked into it more and the amish get them shipped in from a hatchery. And I do not believe now that the top one had those large bald spots at first from reviewing photos. But does not seem ill at all. would the BSL have a different color scheme being a roo? I am new to chickens this spring, so I am just learning. Thank you for responding!

Okay,

thank you! Just looked into it more and the amish get them shipped in from a hatchery. And I do not believe now that the top one had those large bald spots at first from reviewing photos. But does not seem ill at all. would the BSL have a different color scheme being a roo? I am new to chickens this spring, so I am just learning. Thank you for responding!
If they're definitely from a hatchery then I suppose they could be black sex link pullets, but I'm not totally convinced of it. The bare patches could be from a skin condition, or perhaps there is feather eating going on within the flock. That can happen if they don't have enough space or if they're not getting enough protein. Or it could just be a bird that is feathering in a little differently, which can happen. Keep an eye on them, and report back if you see feather plucking or if the patches become flakey or inflammed. The chick looks otherwise healthy to me. I think it's just a case of waiting a few more weeks to see what develops.

If they're definitely from a hatchery then I suppose they could be black sex link pullets, but I'm not totally convinced of it. The bare patches could be from a skin condition, or perhaps there is feather eating going on within the flock. That can happen if they don't have enough space or if they're not getting enough protein. Or it could just be a bird that is feathering in a little differently, which can happen. Keep an eye on them, and report back if you see feather plucking or if the patches become flakey or inflammed. The chick looks otherwise healthy to me. I think it's just a case of waiting a few more weeks to see what develops.
I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom