5-6 week old chick crowing!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sylverfly, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    My 5-6 week old chick is crowing, I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing/hearing. The chicks are in a pen with the other chickens but separated and today one of the little ones with a larger comb then the others crowed like 5 times in a row after hearing the big rooster crowing. He puts his neck out straight all the little feathers stick up and a long chirpy screech sound comes out. I thought something was wrong with him at first but after watching him I realized he was attempting to crow and producing at least some kind of sound. He’s very protective of the other chicks and somewhat aggressive. Should I be worried about a hormone/chemical imbalance or is this perfectly normal.

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Its normal I have a silkie/BCM mix that just crowed the other day for the first time and he is 6 weeks old. I also have a Delaware roo thats 7 weeks old no crow yet. My BR's crowed at 5-6 weeks.

3. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Ha Ha Ha, so cute! What breed is this little guy? I've had barred rocks start crowing at about five weeks; little high-pitched baby crows. It's pretty cute to me. The fact that he's crowing isn't a worry so much, but yeah, if he's already pretty aggressive and bossy, he's not likely to out grow those character traits.

4. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    I believe he's a black mottled d'uccle bantam, and I double checked how old he is and he's 4 and a half weeks old. Anyone want a Future trouble roo, he’ll be pretty to look at and probably pretty good exercise to run from too, oh boy what am I going to do.

5. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Awww!! My little guy started making noises the others weren't at like 2 weeks. He's now 17 weeks and crowing like a pro!!

6. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Quote:The trouble makers make the tastiest chicken pot pie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by