$5 a gallon of gas rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was referring to Alaskan oil. Not sure what grade crude we are getting out of Colorado. Texas has some good grade crude in some areas. Most people I talk to though, think Alaska is the answer to our oil/gasoline problem. It isn't.
Slinky

Quote:
I don't know but I doubt it's 25% BTW you should have given us the numbers with your post.

I do know the U.S spends Billions to subsidize "American farmers and agribusinesses to supplement their income, manage the supply of agricultural commodities, and influence the cost and supply of such commodities. Examples of such commodities include wheat, feed grains (grain used as fodder, such as maize or corn, sorghum, barley, and oats), cotton, milk, rice, peanuts, sugar, tobacco, and oilseeds such as soybeans.."

Joe

Quote:
I wish we here in the US had access to the diesel cars you folks are able to purchase. There are a number of problems with hybrids, such as putting those huge mercury battery banks in the landfills, not to mention replacement cost. In addition, the voltage found in hybrids and electric can be very dangerous to emergency personnel if, in a wreck, the passengers are trapped inside.

Modern diesel technology has advanced by leaps and bounds. Those little cars can easily get 45 mpg and the emission control in the modern diesel is light years ahead of those big older trucks we still see on our roads.

You should check out the VW Diesel Jetta, and yes you can buy it in the good ol USA

Quote:
The Chevy Aveo is currently made in Korea. The factory is owned by the GM Daewoo division. They are going to start making them in Michigan though. Good priced car and has good mlg. I've seen a lot more on the road in the past year or two.

Quote:
I think we will see a lot more NG use in the future. I heard that Obama had a part of the stimulus slated for NG conversion for fleet trucks including semis. It was just a short story so who knows what actually happened. There are a lot of fleet vehicles that run on NG right now. I agree about the batteries on the electric cars. Like any new technology they have a ways to go, but are definitely going to be a big part of the future. Electric and NG will be the only affordable and responsible transportation means in the future. There will also be a lot more mass transit. There will be no choice. Parking lots will be converted to housing and there wont be any parking downtown.

I don't know about the oil leakage in the Pacific. I heard that from the right wing during the Gulf Oil Spill disaster. After all the only bad thing about it was how Obama handled per that side. However I lived in California and Texas. I went to the Gulf numerous times and the Pacific Ocean almost every day. In California I never got oil globs on me. In the Gulf I had to take turpentine to clean the oil globs off. This was down around Padre Island. I shudder at the though of going in the Gulf up around Galveston. This was also back in the early 90's before the latest catastrophe.

When you hear all the anti alternative rhetoric, pay attention to who is spewing it. Follow the money as they say. They don't have anybody's interest in mind except their own.

Quote:
I think we will see a lot more NG use in the future. I heard that Obama had a part of the stimulus slated for NG conversion for fleet trucks including semis. It was just a short story so who knows what actually happened. There are a lot of fleet vehicles that run on NG right now. I agree about the batteries on the electric cars. Like any new technology they have a ways to go, but are definitely going to be a big part of the future. Electric and NG will be the only affordable and responsible transportation means in the future. There will also be a lot more mass transit. There will be no choice. Parking lots will be converted to housing and there wont be any parking downtown.

I don't know about the oil leakage in the Pacific. I heard that from the right wing during the Gulf Oil Spill disaster. After all the only bad thing about it was how Obama handled per that side. However I lived in California and Texas. I went to the Gulf numerous times and the Pacific Ocean almost every day. In California I never got oil globs on me. In the Gulf I had to take turpentine to clean the oil globs off. This was down around Padre Island. I shudder at the though of going in the Gulf up around Galveston. This was also back in the early 90's before the latest catastrophe.

When you hear all the anti alternative rhetoric, pay attention to who is spewing it. Follow the money as they say. They don't have anybody's interest in mind except their own.

You should take a walk on a beach in Santa Barbara-CA, bring you wipes or a pair of flip flops cause your feet will be covered in tar balls

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes it is ugly, as ugly as strip coal mining. Unfortunately the demand for oil and the shear size of that deposit will wreck a lot of the enviornment. I hope there is a "plan" to reclaim and replant that area.

Those oil sands, located in northern Alberta, are so immense that they put Canada second only to Saudi Arabia among the world's oil-rich nations.
Too bad the Canadian Government doesn't have the foresight to keep a chunk of those reserves for its citizens, so we don't pay $5.00 a gallon for gas.
But most of it will be pumped to the USA in long pipelines to Texas and other refineries.
The Fat Cats will get fatter as our price per gallon in Canada rises and we are told it is due to exploration and refining costs. Yeah right

Quote:

You should take a walk on a beach in Santa Barbara-CA, bring you wipes or a pair of flip flops cause your feet will be covered in tar balls

I used to live in SLO town. Drove by Sant Barbara a number of times on the way to smog city. Isn't that about where those oil platforms are? First time I saw those platforms I was speechless. Some politician got big bucks to allow those to get built.

I love my pink scooter that gets 80 mpg. I probably ride it 8-10 months of the year. I only use the car if it's late at night, if I MUST get on the freeway, if I have to pick someone else up, or if there is adverse weather (rain, cold, etc.). Even our car gets fairly decent mileage and is a small car. We got rid of the big gas-guzzling minivan that cost me $80 a tank to fill up every two weeks... in the 6 months since I've bought my scoot, I don't think I've even used a third of that in gas !!! And sometimes I go for a ride JUST BECAUSE. (Not this time of year, tho LOL)

It's got a nice li'l a 150cc GY6 Chinese air-cooled engine in it & cruises steady at about 40-45 miles an hour without problems. I have gotten her up to 55, but i don't like to push her like that... she does have a small engine that could develop problems. It has really, really saved me a lot of money on gas. She's automatic and has no gears. I love her like a baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom