5 Brahma chicken coop for the cold northern Midwest

BrahmaMama9

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2023
Planning on a new coop for my chickens. I live in North Dakota where is can get as low at -30 with wind chills around -60 for a few weeks throughout winter. We also get 4-6 feet of snow per year. Winds up to 60 mph. So a well insulated coop is a must.

I have 4 brahma hens and 1 brahma rooster. Planning on a 5x11 foot run off the coop for them. This winter they are in the barn and doing just fine. But I need to move them by spring to a new coop.

Any recommendations on coops? Lumbar is hard to get out here so pre-made would be ideal but we can build our own if it's absolutely needed.

In thinking what I would do if I didn't have alot of lumber options I agree with the above suggestion to convert a metal shed. I'd way rather put my money into that than I would a pre-fab coop. And with a metal shed I would for sure insulate it with this stuff, foam board insulation (I feel like a salesperson for it.) It has just really made a difference in my coop for cooling in summer and heating in winter.
insulation.PNG

It's really easy to work with but of course you'd need to properly install it in between outter wall and inner wall. If I didn't have plywood, osb or fence boards for inner wall, I'd try painting it with a very think coat of stucko paint to discourage chickens from pecking it. Or you can use thick fabric.

Back
Top Bottom