5 chickens

ericmcginn5

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
i have 5 hen and going on vacation the watter i keep in the coop lasts a day. i have someone watching them all but two days can they go two days without watter in 100 degrees.

Get a larger water reservoir or find someone else to check up on them the remaining two days. Water is more important than food.

Chris

My waterer only cost about $7 to put together and holds just over 5 gallons. I don't ever fill it completely up since I'm out there daily to clean and such, but if I had to be gone for a day or two, they'd be okay. Best part is that the cup stays clean and the top of the pipe is capped to keep bugs and debris out.

oooh Mianna! That's a nice waterer! I was just wondering if I could use the cup waterers out the side of say a 3 or 5 gal bucket instead of out of the side of a 1" (?size) pvc pipe like I see usually done. But seeing your picture makes me fairly sure I can use several cups around the sides of the bucket along the bottom, so I can avoid dripping nipples, also set the bucket up on a winter bucket heater (I also found instructions for that too on BYC, using a large shortbread cookie tin, and christmas lightstring). :D THANK YOU for putting up your picture.

Awesome, I'm glad it helped.I found the idea on Instructables and used drain pipe instead of the schedule 40 pvc pipe they listed, worked out fantastic and one piece of drain pipe was plenty to make the waterer and matching feeder. Your idea with the bucket should work great, I made a smaller secondary waterer for inside the coop with just a cup and a Rubbermaid pitcher.

Back
Top Bottom