5 chicks dead and counting :(

LilyandSparrow

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2016
Centralia, WA
Our 30 chicks from the hatchery arrived yesterday (Thursday) morning. They were hatched Monday. One was DOA, a speckled sussex. We immediately fed them GroGel, and offered food (fermented organic chick starter) + water with a splash of ACV. 4-5 of them had pasty butt, which we have been tending to. 5 went to their new home, and another 11 went to a second home, with the remaining chicks staying at our home.

About 6 hours after arrival a speckled sussex passed. 2 hours later, another passed (someone from a FB forum said it looked like she had an infected yolk sac). Then, last night about midnight, a wyandotte passed. I found out from the family who took the set of 11 that they had a sussex pass last night, and another is weak. I currently have a partridge cochin about to go, and a faverolle who will only stand, eyes shut, puffed feathers and appears to be shivering even though the brooder is at the right temperature. The family who took the set of 5 have not had any issues.

I have not seen an pink or red in their stool. The brooder has heat on one end with a thermometer so I can keep it steady and the food and water at the opposite end with no heat. They have been inside (either the garage or the bathroom).

The remaining chicks seem active and healthy right now, but so did all the other chicks yesterday (except the one that was DOA) when they first arrived. I am beside myself and don't know what to do! My little girls are heartbroken and their two favorites (the faverolle and cochin) look like they're not going to make it. Can anyone help me trouble shoot?

Faverolle chick. I have separated her and that's why she's in the cardboard box and not the brooder. The temp is 90-95 for her, but she's shivering.

This is their poo--the photo makes it look dark red, but I think it's because of the heat lamp. When I wiped it off with a tissue, it was all greenish, no pink or red at all.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this looks like it resulted from too much stress during shipping. It might help to feed the weak chicks sugar water with a syringe, and mix a little warm water and sugar into their feed to make a "mash," which is easier to eat. These are not surefire solutions but are worth a try, and your girls can help too if they want. Also, I would keep the brooder temp at at least 90 degrees.

Unfortunately, this looks like it resulted from too much stress during shipping. It might help to feed the weak chicks sugar water with a syringe, and mix a little warm water and sugar into their feed to make a "mash," which is easier to eat. These are not surefire solutions but are worth a try, and your girls can help too if they want. Also, I would keep the brooder temp at at least 90 degrees.

I will give the sugar water a try. I tried nutri drench yesterday, should I try it again today?. The brooder has been between 90-95 degrees, I try not to let it go below 90.

I do hope that the whole brooder is not that warm. they need heat only under the heat lamp (if that's what you are using.) The rest of the brooder should be MUCH cooler. Down to 70 if you can manage it with the summer heat. Especially in the summer, I'd recommend using a heating pad to brood chicks due to the excessive ambient temp. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

I would give them ND every day for a while. Be sure you mix up a fresh batch and wash their waterer every day.

I do hope that the whole brooder is not that warm. they need heat only under the heat lamp (if that's what you are using.) The rest of the brooder should be MUCH cooler. Down to 70 if you can manage it with the summer heat. Especially in the summer, I'd recommend using a heating pad to brood chicks due to the excessive ambient temp. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

I would give them ND every day for a while. Be sure you mix up a fresh batch and wash their waterer every day.
The brooder is about 4 feet long. The heating lamp is on one end, and the food and water are on the other end. I'm in the Northwest, and it's not been very warm here recently, so ambient temp where they are house has tended to be around 75-78. Is that too warm?

I did go down to our True Value store and pick up some Sav A Chick electrolytes and probiotics. The little faverolle took it well, and then after she revived a bit, I was able to finger peck at the food and get her to eat some. She's running around, chirping and pecking and happy. The little cochin hung on for several hours but just passed. So far, everyone else seems happy and healthy, so hopefully this is the end of it.

What is the temp in the brooder away from the heat. In my experience, if you are brooding in a plastic tote, they tend to hold too much heat. They will go along ok for a while, and the next thing you know, your babies are cooked. I had a tote do that once to me. Luckily, I caught it. But, I now brood with nothing but a heating pad, and get the babies outside just as soon as they are stabilized. Much safer.

What is the temp in the brooder away from the heat. In my experience, if you are brooding in a plastic tote, they tend to hold too much heat. They will go along ok for a while, and the next thing you know, your babies are cooked. I had a tote do that once to me. Luckily, I caught it. But, I now brood with nothing but a heating pad, and get the babies outside just as soon as they are stabilized. Much safer.
It looks like it is about 82 on the other side. Is that too warm? I did make a mama heating pad like Blooie showed in one of the threads I used, so I'll just use that. I ordered one of the Premier1 heating plates, but it hasn't arrived yet.

If you have the MHP, you'll not need the Premier I heating plate. But that's your choice. I've never brooded chicks in the heavy heat of summer, so really can't advise you. Be sure you keep in contact with the hatchery so they can reimburse you. They have (I think) a 48 hour replacement policy.

I don't have an auto-off turn OFF heating pad, so in a panic 2 days before the chicks came, I ordered the heating plate. The MHP is working so well (even though I have to manually turn it back on every time it turns off,even during night), that I wish I could return the plate and just buy the right heating pad and do the MHP.

I have to let the hatchery know by 8am tomorrow how much loss happened in the first 48 hours.

Back
Top Bottom