1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 DAY EARLY DUCKLING

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rocki769, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :fl

2. rocki769

rocki769 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    Dixon, CA
    So he's doing great. He sti has his little head in the egg but he's breathing and not fusing much. And he's chirping again so I think he's gonna be ok! I have the humidity up to 80 and he's still wrapped in the paper towel. He looks ok to me! @pyxis

3. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Woo! :weee Sounds like it's pulling through.

4. rocki769

Aug 12, 2013
    Dixon, CA
    [​IMG]
    Is there a way to pull his head out? He's starting to fuss again and he's got this yellow liquid around his face.Almost like a jelly. I don't want to damage anything but he's swallowing some of the liquid. I don't know if that's normal or not @Pyxis

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yes - but be careful. It sounds like he might aspirate if you don't do it so I'd say go ahead and do it, then put him in the bag. Grab him gently by the beak slide his head up and out. Make sure you work with the direction his neck is twisted and not against it - you don't want to hurt his little neck. It won't hurt him. Just be careful not to tear any membranes and have a dry paper towel close so you can put pressure on any bleeds if you accidentally cause one to stop the bleeding.

6. rocki769

Aug 12, 2013
    Dixon, CA
    Ok. I will try that now. Thank you! I'll tell you how it goes

7. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Good luck!

I will be leaving work in a couple minutes and won't have internet access again until tomorrow afternoon, so let me know how he is progressing and I'll try to check in sooner if I can!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @rocki769 hows the lil duckling this morning? and there is @Lacrystol who is experienced with this sort of problem too if you need help.

9. rocki769

Aug 12, 2013
    Dixon, CA
    @Pyxis the duckling is doing great! I was so afraid he wasn't gonna make it through the night but he looks great today. It kinda looks like he's absorbed most of the yolk. I have him wrapped in a wet cloth in the incubator. I'm gonna put him in the ziplock bag before I leave to go to school because I don't want him to be a little turd when I'm not home. But I think he's gonna make it! He's chirping and he's bright eyed. He's breathing ok.
    Thank you for all of your help. I will keep you updated on his progress as time goes. If I have another issue with him ill be sure to write to you!!
    Thanks!

10. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yay! I'm so glad! Be sure to post a picture of him once he's out :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by