5 day old baby chick needs HELP!

Sky_Chickens

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2023
Hello! I just got my second batch of baby chicks, they’re silkies (plus two roosters of other breeds) and one of them has been off ever since we got them. She doesn’t stop crying unless she’s asleep, I hardly saw her eat, drink, or get up from under the brooder for the first day, picked her up and saw the poor thing had pasty butt so I treated it and she started eating and drinking and running with the other chickens. She acted normal yesterday some extra peeping but she acted normal other then that and I woke up today and found that she was barely about to stand up. I don’t think it’s wry neck cause her head isn’t tilting, she just falls on her butt and cries. I tried giving her nutri-drench and she took it but she’s not getting better. I would love some help! I just moved them into the garage now because I thought maybe it was just too cold were they where. (Edit) I just realized I forgot to mention it kind of looks like her vent area is inflamed, like not the vent itself but the area around it. I checked one of the other super tiny silkies and it looks and feels the same but that one isn’t having any issues at all. So maybe it’s just cause their eating a lot for their size? I’m not sure. I’ll add a picture soon as I don’t have one at the moment and had to leave the house.

Last edited:
Try to get her to keep taking the NutriDrench and fluids. She sounds like a weak chick or has suffered from shipping stress. The pasty butt usually keeps happening for a few days. You can apply a little vaseline or olive oil to the vent inside and out. I like to offer sprinkles of chick crumbles around their feet on a clean paper towel. Wet chick feed is also good to offer. I hope that she makes it.

Try to get her to keep taking the NutriDrench and fluids. She sounds like a weak chick or has suffered from shipping stress. The pasty butt usually keeps happening for a few days. You can apply a little vaseline or olive oil to the vent inside and out. I like to offer sprinkles of chick crumbles around their feet on a clean paper towel. Wet chick feed is also good to offer. I hope that she makes it.
I’ll do that! Thanks so much! Since I posted this she’s walking around some and is peeping again, (she stopped as I wrote it) I had to leave home so I’m not sure how she is at the moment but I’m glad I was on the right track.

Back
Top Bottom