5 day old chick CROWING!! Video Update!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MadHatcher, Sep 20, 2010.

1. MadHatcher

MadHatcher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    This little araucana chick pictured below - The lightish brown/yellow chick laying down with the HUGE feather tufts.

[​IMG]

Who can also be seen in this picture as well...

[​IMG]

I was holding this little baby on Friday (and since they were hatched out on Monday the 13th they were 5 days old at the time) cooing at "her" and generally enjoying the new fluff-balls occupying space in my living room... When all of a sudden the little chick walked onto the edge of my hand... perched on my fingertips... reached "her" neck as far out as it would go and stuck "her" wings straight out and made a... horrid strangled sound that was nothing like "her" former peeps...

I thought surely I did not just see a crow?!

As soon as that thought passed my brain "she" did it again!! Sorta like a "graawk" sound...

I was still processing this second "crow" when "she" did it a third time!!!

I'm so sad! I really wanted this chick to be a girl... is this for sure crowing? Can they even crow at 5 days old... ?

It is now day 7 and I haven't seen it happen since...

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update:

Around week two our little chick started "crowing" with a passion. Now, every morning I can expect to hear 10-20 "crows" from him.

My camera doesn't do well in low lighting conditions but I managed to capture this video of him exhibiting the behavior at about 8am this morning.

He does what I think of as a rooster crowing eight times in this video - He is four weeks old tomorrow 10-11-10

What do you think?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Stop feeding them the "muscle man" powder from the health food store and maybe it will stop:lau

I think there are some reports of very early crowing on here. I'd keep the little guy a bit longer just to be sure.

3. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    I had a chick that I thought crowed, but he turned out to be a she, so don't give up hope!

4. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Are you sure she didn't have a little frog in her throat??

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I've had a chick crow at 1 day old .. he wasn't hardly even dry yet! [​IMG]

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    they do look like they're crowing when they poop......

7. MadHatcher

Mar 9, 2010
    What do you think?

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Awwwww, that sure sounds like adorable little baby crows to me. It'll be interesting to watch that chick grow. Will you keep us updated?

9. MadHatcher

Mar 9, 2010
    Of course I'll keep you updated! [​IMG]

This little chicken has me so excited because of his strange behavior I just can't help but want to share.

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    He da man! Fascinating!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by