5 day old chick is lethargic not eating and drinking.

Tubs on a temporary basis are okay but lack of ventilation and reaching down in over their heads makes them stressed. And obviously the concern with heat. The fact that you turned down the heat should really help. It's probably a combination of shipping stress and then heat. Just keep a close eye on them. Behavior shows you what temps to use. If they're not acting cold, go lower and lower. What I use for a brooder is hardware cloth screens from a pre-fab coop and OSB as coop floor. The older and messier they get, the tub just holds in moisture too. So OSB with paper towels and then pine shavings is what I use in my brooder. I use heat plate and ceramic lamp for first days, then a MHP and ceramic lamp out in my coop brooder. I just took the ceramic lamp away for my 6week olds. It's *30-40 night temps.
All of this is very valuable information. I will go to the hardware store tomorrow and get everything I need to build a better temporary brooder. Thank you so much for the advice. I'm still learning and will take all I can get to make sure my feathered friends are happy and healthy.

All of this is very valuable information. I will go to the hardware store tomorrow and get everything I need to build a better temporary brooder. Thank you so much for the advice. I'm still learning and will take all I can get to make sure my feathered friends are happy and healthy.
Awe that's so cool, you're more committed that some! You really don't have to be a pro carpenter to build a wooden box with hardware cloth sides. Here is a funny pic of my initial brooder, first few days where they get to meet my Leonberger puppy. And then my brooder room in my coop.... Good Luck!
IMG_1437.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

Back
Top Bottom