5 day old chick laying on side? Seems Dizzy? Please help...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TOL Chick, May 25, 2010.

1. TOL Chick

TOL Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Milford, MI
    Hi -

Hatched out my first round of dorkings last week. One of my smaller chicks seems a bit dizzy, and I've caught it laying on it's side a couple of times. What can I do to help it? They are on medicated scratch, I've been giving them yogurt and they have Nutri-Drench vitamins in their water... Chick grit has been out for 2 days now, and I still have them on paper towel over shavings, as the little buggers start eating away at the shavings if I don't.

Words of wisdom greatly appreciated!
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    May just be slower getting its footing .. I have had one or two like that....
  3. crittersitter

crittersitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Westchester County,NY
    Your post says you are feeding medicated scratch?? Do you mean medicated chick starter? That's what they should be on. If they are only eating scratch they are not getting enough protein. I would get them on the proper feed and supplement with vitamins. Polyvisol WITHOUT iron will help them catch up if they have a vitamin deficiency. You can find it in the baby section of any pharmacy(cvs.rite aid, etc)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by