5 Day Old Chick Refusing to Drink! Help!

VallieD

Hatching
Jun 15, 2022
I have a chick that hatched much earlier than the rest, so her mom isn't taking care of her. The other 2 that hatched with her died pretty much right after hatching, but she seemed fine and healthy.

I gave her honey water from a syringe and some medicated crumbles. She drank from the syringe fine, at first. I introduced her to her watering container several times a day and I thought on the 3rd day that she'd start drinking once the yolk was absorbed.

She didn't. I still had to use a syringe, but I was only using the water in her container. I tried to bring her to her family (Grandma and Dad, bc Mom is still on eggs), but her father wouldn't stop pecking at her repeatedly and when I removed him, her grandmother also wanted nothing to do with the chick only trying to get out to get to the rooster.

I kept using a syringe and she kept drinking that way. I got glass beads for her water and continued introducing, but she's not catching on. She tried pecking AROUND the container, but not in it. She pecked at water in the ground etc. *She is eating fine, but food had to be crushed a bit bc the pieces were too big.*

Yesterday was day 5 and so I brought her to a pen inside my duck fence who have a watering container that looks like hers and hope that she'd learn that way. The ducks seemed a lot more receptive to her and were showing her how to drink, but still nothing.

Now since last night, she's refusing the syringe and I'm worried. There appears to be literally nothing wrong with her other than her lack of interest in water. What can I do? Should I go back to using honey water and see if she starts drinking again? She's imprinted on me and so I feel responsible to raise her. I wanted a pet chicken that wasn't afraid of me anyway LOL.

Please help! His/her name is Todoroki from My Hero Academia bc she's half black like her father and half white like her mother.

Please help!
Your killing her by sticking her in with other birds especially the adults.. she needs warmth in order to digest anything. How warm is it where your at?

Staggered hatch is never a good ideal.

Forget the honey water.. give her an egg yolk (raw or boiled and smashed) she needs some protein and nutrients. Are you in the US?

I tried to bring her to her family (Grandma and Dad, bc Mom is still on eggs), but her father wouldn't stop pecking at her repeatedly and when I removed him, her grandmother also wanted nothing to do with the chick only trying to get out to get to the rooster.
Dear friend.. this shows that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of chicken behavior as it was an extremely predictable outcome. I mean no ugliness, but rather to welcome you to whole new world of helpfulness, support, and understanding! :frow

Do you have chick starter feed available to you or what exactly is it that you're feeding the adults and is too large for the chick before crushing?

Your killing her by sticking her in with other birds especially the adults.. she needs warmth in order to digest anything. How warm is it where your at?

Staggered hatch is never a good ideal.

Forget the honey water.. give her an egg yolk (raw or boiled and smashed) she needs some protein and nutrients. Are you in the US?

Dear friend.. this shows that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of chicken behavior as it was an extremely predictable outcome. I mean no ugliness, but rather to welcome you to whole new world of helpfulness, support, and understanding! :frow

Do you have chick starter feed available to you or what exactly is it that you're feeding the adults and is too large for the chick before crushing?
Sorry, let me clarify... She's in my house with a heatlamp by herself. She only briefly visited the outside where it is currently in the 90s bc I was trying to show her how the others drink water bc she I have yet to see her drink on her own and her water level remains the same.

Sorry, let me clarify... She's in my house with a heatlamp by herself. She only briefly visited the outside where it is currently in the 90s bc I was trying to show her how the others drink water bc she I have yet to see her drink on her own and her water level remains the same.
And yes it's chicken starter. I've raised a chick from hatched before, but there weren't any of these issues. I think the mother being so young is the issue and the heatwave that came in might've caused early hatching. One of her hatchlings had maggots in it and the egg and that's why it died. The other she didn't take care of, so I rescued the 3rd one bc she didn't have maggots and I didn't want her to suffer the same fate.

My other hatched egg from years ago drank on her own after being shown, but this one isn't and I've tried all of the advice I could find.

Oh good, all your extra help has saved her already!

So her eyes are open, she's alert, and actively eating the crushed feed, able to walk, moving in and out of the heat lamp, and is she also pooping? But you just haven't seen her drink yet?

I usually add something shiny and/or colorful to the water dish (marbles from board games for example). I bet it goes down slow for a single chick this early, depending on the size of the container of course.

I have had a couple of chicks throughout the years that even with there own species and several of them together was just to "dense" to catch on. 5 days seems a decent indication that the insides (of the chick) must be working some.. like you said, I'm always watching for the day 3 transition.. but most chicks are happy drink much sooner than that.

Oh good, all your extra help has saved her already!

So her eyes are open, she's alert, and actively eating the crushed feed, able to walk, moving in and out of the heat lamp, and is she also pooping? But you just haven't seen her drink yet?

I usually add something shiny and/or colorful to the water dish (marbles from board games for example). I bet it goes down slow for a single chick this early, depending on the size of the container of course.

I have had a couple of chicks throughout the years that even with there own species and several of them together was just to "dense" to catch on. 5 days seems a decent indication that the insides (of the chick) must be working some.. like you said, I'm always watching for the day 3 transition.. but most chicks are happy drink much sooner than that.
Yeah, I got some glass marbles for the water. I did end up adding honey to it for a bit. She's eating and pooping a lot, but she's still yet to drink from what I can tell bc the water doesn't seem to be getting any lower. She's also stopped accepting it from the syringe which she used to like...

She's also fighting me trying to show her the water bowls, but I did get her to drink anyway today. I just don't know how often I should be doing it or how much bc the net said 1/3 cup a day and I know she's getting much less than that. I'm just wondering why I have seen her drink at all on her own 🤔

She isn't lethargic at all. She's super bouncy and happy acting like a normal chick, yet idk how she's alive at this point with how little water she's drank 😅 I've tried all the tricks I could find online. Any ideas?

She's also fighting me trying to show her the water bowls, but I did get her to drink anyway today. I just don't know how often I should be doing it or how much bc the net said 1/3 cup a day and I know she's getting much less than that. I'm just wondering why I have seen her drink at all on her own 🤔

She isn't lethargic at all. She's super bouncy and happy acting like a normal chick, yet idk how she's alive at this point with how little water she's drank 😅 I've tried all the tricks I could find online. Any ideas?
She might be drinking when you're not looking (I can't imagine a tiny chick going through 1/3 cup a day!) so since she's energetic and eating well I'd just leave her be with the waterer as is, and just keep an eye on her behavior to make sure she continues to act normally otherwise.

She might be drinking when you're not looking (I can't imagine a tiny chick going through 1/3 cup a day!) so since she's energetic and eating well I'd just leave her be with the waterer as is, and just keep an eye on her behavior to make sure she continues to act normally otherwise.
Thank You. I've been watching the water level because reading that online freaked me out, plus she just haven't drank in front of me yet!

In my experience, chicks drink pretty much all of the time, so idk why she hasn't done it in front of me 😂 she seems healthy though.

So should I just watch for lethargy? And what should I do if she does start getting lethargic? Egg Yolk? Or syringe sugar/honey water?

Thanks!

So should I just watch for lethargy? And what should I do if she does start getting lethargic? Egg Yolk? Or syringe sugar/honey water?
Always watch for lethargy. :thumbsup

Never jump to treatments without first doing assessment.. find out if it's pasty butt, slow or blocked crop, coccidiosis, failure to thrive, etc.

If your in the US.. a better choice than honey water (for any failing bird NOT being treated for coccidiosis) is Poultry nutri drench. In addition to the vitamins it also has amino acids. No supplement (including honey) should be given more than 10 days in a row.

I too think she must be secretly drinking since she has the strength to fight you still.

You can always add a little moisture to the feed making it a mash to help ensure hydration. But I would not keep trying to dunk her at this point.. I've aspirated chicks and it's hard for them to recover from.

Pics might be required at this point! ;)

Last edited:
Thank You. I've been watching the water level because reading that online freaked me out, plus she just haven't drank in front of me yet!

In my experience, chicks drink pretty much all of the time, so idk why she hasn't done it in front of me 😂 she seems healthy though.

I admit to never watching the water level, other than to refill the container. Once I show the chicks how to drink I just assume they're doing it on their own, especially if their activity level is normal.

I second the Nutri-Drench suggestion (if needed), great as a pick me up for birds that are a bit sluggish or lethargic.

Back
Top Bottom