5 day old chicks on pine shavings

Vellie

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
New York
Today I switched over my chicks 1 of which is 4 days old the rest are about 6 days old. I had them on newspaper until today and switched them to pine shavings is this o.k? They seem to be picking at it and eating a little here and there. Should I be concerned about them swallowing it? Can it digest o.k? Thank you for your help, I love my babies and want them to be healthy and happy.

I just switched mine over yesterday, at almost a week old. Sure...they'll peck and sample a tiny bit, but they should be just fine! For future reference, I'd probably suggest paper towels or even old cloth towels or sheets for those first few days rather than newspaper, which is a fairly slick surface (some have issues w/splayed legs). Kind of like a new (human) baby trying to take those early steps on slick floors rather than carpet...

Yep, what she said!
smile.png
Nothing slick surfaced. Just envision chicks figure skating without skates, and you'll see why newspaper isn't the best for them. If you're concerned about their pecking at the shavings, just put some paper towels down over the shavings. We keep ours on either fine hardwire mesh or paper towels for the first week, then take those off and put them straight on the shavings.

Thank you so very much for your replies, and I miss spoke I did have them on paper towels...I had just got done reading about news papers as bedding. Teach your coop is absolutely amazing, we have been trying to come up with a new design for our chickens, we have 17 all together now with the new babies. Wyandottes Wellsummers and Americanas, along with our 4 goats, 4 dogs, 3 cats, ferret and sulcatta tortoise. We have the chickens in an old shed we rebuilt and the goats in a straw bale shelter we built. Sorry just had to mention all the babies, lol. Thank you again.

I switched my group over to shavings from paper towels at day 5. Ha - you would think I just added a theme park! There was so much running around, digging, pecking, chasing and nesting going on they forgot to take their hourly nap! Very entertaining!

Mine were on pine shavings at the TSC so I didn't see a problem.
However, I had already set up my brooder with those paper towels on top of the shavings, so I left them in place till morning.
This morning I threw away all the paper towels (Day Two).
They love the shavings since they can scratch and run with the large pieces and have the others chase 'em.
They're so fun to watch!

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom