5 day old chicks primary wing feathers curled out and up. Angel wing or something else?

Helens_Hens

Chirping
Feb 14, 2022
Ok hear me out, I've read so many times that only waterfowl get angel wings, but I would almost disagree. Any other explanation for this babies wings to curl up and out only on her primary wing feathers. And a large gap between her primary and secondary? The secondary lays flat. She or he is a 5 day old olive egger Ayem cemani cross, although looks nothing like our other ones from the same pairing. She is the only one who isn't solid black skin and all. Also the only one out of 17 chicks from the same hatch that's like this. They are on medicated chick starter. She eats great, runs plays and takes dust baths in the feed when I'm not looking. The others have began to peck at her wings. Should I wrap them? I'm just looking for any advice to help her out before it gets worse.
received_713669473763434.jpeg
received_697583918525239.jpeg
IMG_20230125_042945392.jpg
IMG_20230125_032632738~2.jpg

I had something very similar happen to my chick, but on one wing, here's the thread.->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicks-wing-hanging.1512976/
Thank you so much! I just read through that exact post actually lol. I've been trying to find anything that is close to it. Her wing tips literally look like someone took a curling iron and curled them up and back. They are both like that. I never noticed it till yesterday my morning almost as if it's slowly been happening. She has not been injured and she walks runs and jumps fine but I do noticed her flight is a bit wobbly (obviously). She wants to flitter and fly like the rest and she does. Just looks like one of those wacky waving inflatable arm man things

Thank you so much!
You're welcome.
I just read through that exact post actually lol.
🤣 🤣 🤣
I've been trying to find anything that is close to it. Her wing tips literally look like someone took a curling iron and curled them up and back. They are both like that. I never noticed it till yesterday my morning almost as if it's slowly been happening. She has not been injured and she walks runs and jumps fine but I do noticed her flight is a bit wobbly (obviously). She wants to flitter and fly like the rest and she does. Just looks like one of those wacky waving inflatable arm man things
I'm thinking it is most likely angel wing...

Back
Top Bottom