5 day old hatchling that keeps throwing its head to its back. Please help.

Apr 16, 2021
I just hatched 3 new eggs this week and all was good until yesterday. I have one chick that keeps throwing its head into its back. I've tried looking up what it could be and the closest I've came was something called wry neck. But the chick is eating and drinking just fine and its off and on threw out the day. I'm not sure if it's getting worse or if I'm just now really noticing what the chick is doing. Out of all the hatchlings this is my husband's favorite one and I really want to make sure the little guy makes it. Please help if you can I'm really not sure what to do at this point. I'm sorry if the picture isn't the best to show what exactly the chick is doing but hopefully it's enough to get at least a little insight on what I can hopefully do to help it. We also have lots of poultry medicine that we've been using for our yearlings and our older chickens and rooster we've been using for the past year, so any medicine recommendations I may already have it handy just need to know what I need to use and hopefully if you know how much to give that would also be extremely appreciated. Thank you to everyone that is taking time to read my post and hopefully give me a little guidance on how to help.

Attachments

• 16185685128491057404355601691145.jpg
    16185685128491057404355601691145.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
She is star gazing.
That can be due to a vitamin deficiency in the parent stock. Treat with poultry vitamins like Poultry nutri-drench or Rooster Booster. Put one drop to the side of her beak and let it wick in. Give her a drop 3 to 4 times a day and put some in the water too. It can take several days to resolve.
I would continue treatment for 3 days after symptoms stop.
What are you feeding the chicks?

She is star gazing.
That can be due to a vitamin deficiency in the parent stock. Treat with poultry vitamins like Poultry nutri-drench or Rooster Booster. Put one drop to the side of her beak and let it wick in. Give her a drop 3 to 4 times a day and put some in the water too. It can take several days to resolve.
We are giving them flock raiser crumbles and on occasion my husband throws in an oat and mealwork snack mix that we got from tractor supply next to all the chicks.

She is star gazing.
Thank you so much for the quick response.

Back
Top Bottom