5 day old silkie is dying (I think) :(

Sorry for your loss. The chick may have suffered from shipping stress. Check for any pasty butt (stuck poop blocking the vent opening.) Make sure the other 2 are drinking and eating well.
I checked them and they had like really nothing stuck…it’s so weird. First one to go had the cleanest butt I’ve ever seen! Now I checked on them before bed, and another is doing the weird laying on its side being lethargic thing. I know if this one dies, the odds for the last one are not good…they were guaranteed by the seller but the shipping was also supposed to be 1 day overnight and they took 3 days to get here which was probably not great. Ah! I don’t know what to do 😔

Also adding this because I realised I forgot to mention it before- they sent me 4 chicks even though I only ordered 3- and one was literally a pile of black mush and fluff in the corner of the tiny space they had in the middle of the box (surrounded by nesting material)
It was so cold during as it came from CA to TX right as that blizzard began.
But it stunk so bad. It was rotten. I wonder if standing in that junk for 3 days had anything to do with this. I’m honestly somewhat traumatized by this and almost don’t wanna get anymore chicks or try again if I lose them all 😥 I don’t know if I can handle this again, I really feel so bad for them :(

So sorry, but chicks being in shipping for 3 days is the maximum they can live without food and water. Being in a pack of 4 chicks, even with a heat pack, they are likely to die if temperatures are extreme. If the one chick was dead, it is true they may have been exposed to the decaying body. Do you have any feed stores near you that sells chicks? When I get chicks from a hatchery, I get them in April when temperatures are usually mild. I try to order from the nearest hatchery where they are only in transit overnight.

Also adding this because I realised I forgot to mention it before- they sent me 4 chicks even though I only ordered 3- and one was literally a pile of black mush and fluff in the corner of the tiny space they had in the middle of the box (surrounded by nesting material)
It was so cold during as it came from CA to TX right as that blizzard began.
But it stunk so bad. It was rotten. I wonder if standing in that junk for 3 days had anything to do with this. I’m honestly somewhat traumatized by this and almost don’t wanna get anymore chicks or try again if I lose them all 😥 I don’t know if I can handle this again, I really feel so bad for them :(
That doesn't sound good. The terrible shipping conditions probably has made the shipping stress much worse. I am sorry 😢! Do your best with the ones that you have left; give them the nutridrench if you can. Even if you do lose all of them (I hope you don't), don't let it discourage you from trying again. Maybe try a different place to order from next time (although the place you ordered from can't control the weather). It's weird to me that the newest sick one was fine before, in my experience, which isn't much, if they are healthy out of the box then they stay healthy, but the weak ones out of the box usually don't make it.

So sorry, but chicks being in shipping for 3 days is the maximum they can live without food and water. Being in a pack of 4 chicks, even with a heat pack, they are likely to die if temperatures are extreme. If the one chick was dead, it is true they may have been exposed to the decaying body. Do you have any feed stores near you that sells chicks? When I get chicks from a hatchery, I get them in April when temperatures are usually mild. I try to order from the nearest hatchery where they are only in transit overnight.
No I don’t have any stores near me, my tractor supply doesn’t have chicks either which stinks. I would’ve definitely preferred to get local but it seemed like everyone was just in another state unfortunately…I did pay for 1 day shipping but usps really dropped the ball and my package ended up taking 3 days (If I knew that would’ve happened I wouldn’t have ordered them at all honestly)

Probably should’ve waited but I did order them back in December and they of course get shipped, from California, the day the blizzard hit up there. So unlucky :(

It is so odd because the other two were soooo strong and healthy and I’m about to check on them again but all I can think of is maybe it was something contagious? I change the water fresh, food, and clean up the poopy paper towels and put new ones down every day 💔

2 dead now- exact same circumstances. Totally fine, then flopping over not standing up no strength, nothing I did helped or made them perk back up. It’s like they go limp once it starts. Clean butts, eating and drinking and then boom dead. The strongest one is the only one left now and he’s chirping like CRAZY probably because he’s alone and confused. I don’t know what to do 😭 is he going to die too?

Back
Top Bottom