5 days and I'm pretty much clueless

chickenlover210

Songster
11 Years
Jan 28, 2008
the Usa
Ok so I have read lots and lots of books about baby chicks. I'm getting 2 of my silkies on friday and 4 of my Rhode Island Reds a little while after easter (wel they might come at the same time but we arn't sure) I have to go too THe Familys hose on Easter. Can I leave my chicks at home? I watched a show (I was flipping through channels and something about chickens came up. Had to watch it) and it said the baby chicks had to be fed evry 2 hours or something. I'm confused I can't take them with me (can I?0 because she lives about 30-40 min. away and they will be about 1 week old and they would get cold. I'm confused. Is there routine check ups that I have to do every few hours.
I'm confused.
I have to re-read theese books. and all of them (or 2/6 will be coming in 5 days) I'm so excited but so confused please help.
PLease

Oh and hate to put this up on this emergency topic but go to youtube.com and type in
Chicken lover1
Watch rate and comment on the movies
smile.png

Chicks need to have food and water available to them 24 hours a day. You do need to check on them regularly during the day, especially during the 1st week. You need to make sure their waterers are free of debris and poop often.........Hope this helps! Also, make sure that you are keeping their temperature at 95 degrees for the 1st week and reducing it 5 degrees each week after. Enjoy!!!

***If you are going to be gone for an extended period of time, just take extra precautions to make sure they have what they need.

Last edited:
If you get feeder and waterer that holds quart(mason) type jar that is enough water and food for a couple of days, provide them with heat/food/water and they will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom