5 days old and already limping...

izziebean

Chirping
May 2, 2015
Bought 7 chicks on Thursday. At first they were cute and shy... then they started being more aggressive with each other. I just kind of left them alone for the evening. Came back to find them asleep. One was laying by herself. She's seemed to be the shy one from the start. When she stands up.. I see her fall over. It takes a minute, but she does make it up.

So I checked her toes and foot. No obvious breaks or tears of the skin. No bones protruding through anything. I set both of her feet on my index finger and let her slowly sit on the finger. She did slightly curl the toes on the hurt foot.. not as much as the other foot but she does have some control over the foot.

I tried to isolate her from the others as they are just kind of hitting each other around. She ate a bit but then cried until i put her back with the others. She can walk.. err limp.. across the brooder. I'm hoping it's just a sprain and will heal itself. I have a little separate sitting area that I can put in tomorrow, I just need to buy a new water bowl at the feed store. Would that be helpful or do i need to keep them altogether?

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom