5 freeloading ladies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MichelleKing, Dec 9, 2018.

1. MichelleKing

MichelleKing Songster

Aug 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Have 5 ladies-
    Ameraucana (born 06/18/18)
    DeathLayer (born 05/22/18)
    Orpington (unknown, 9 months about)
    2 polish (born May 2018)

They all molted at the same time Sept 2018 to about end of October.

They are now ALL full feathered, gorgeous, shiny, and full of spunk. Eating and drinking, all dewormed before winterizing the coop, and no one is sick.

NO ONE IS LAYING. Not one gal. They’re all freeloading lol!

Now, these are my pets, so I don’t care too much. I love them anyhow. However, I feel like this isn’t normal.

**EDIT**
    I am not supplementing light because I want them to lay naturally and when they’re ready.

Help and advice appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Days are still getting shorter, after the solstice, December 21, days will start getting longer and trigger their hormones to kick and and the birds to lay. You've only got about 2 more weeks to go!

3. cinalee

cinalee Chirping

Jul 24, 2018
    Sicamous, BC
    Sounds like they are happy, healthy and hopefully getting ready to pay their rent. Best of luck.

4. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
  5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    It's normal. I haven't seen an egg since October or something. Molting stopped all laying, and now that the days are very short, no one has resumed. My pullets are still developing and I anticipate it will be January before I see an egg.

MichelleKing, sourland, Melky and 2 others like this.
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not at all unusual for 'late' pullets to not lay until the following spring. Patience, they will lay.

MichelleKing and Melky like this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This^^^

It's perfectly normal.
    The molt you saw was the last juvenile molt(3-4 months old),
    not the typical annual molt that adult birds go thru their second fall/winter.

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
    Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
    Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
    Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Melky likes this.
  8. They will lay in their own good time. The breeds that you mentioned are not known as especially good layers. These chickens are eye candy birds and some of them are still under 6 months old. I expect them to begin laying in February to April. By this time one r more hen may stop laying and take a 2 or 3 month hiatus from laying and begin sitting and/or brooding.

Wyorp Rock and MichelleKing like this.
  9. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Songster

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    My girls quit laying every winter from mid November until around the end of January. Yes, they are freeloaders!

MichelleKing likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: