5 gallon, wide mouth, glass container?

naadarien

Songster
9 Years
Feb 10, 2013
Central Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
So I have a good lacto-fermentation going in my half gallon Ball jar, but I want to expand to larger container so I can feed the chickies more FF and I don't want to use plastic.

Any ideas of a glass container of this size? The only thing I can think of with a wide mouth/opening is a fish tank. I'm not sure I can avoid that, but I am looking for other suggestions anyway. Too bad carboys don't come with a wide opening. I have several of those.

Thanks!

One gallon are easy to find. Pickles are most often in glass containers. Anything larger is going to be plastic just because of the weight. Ask any restaurant you frequent to save you large glass containers.

Yeah. I saw that on Amazon. The rim looks a bit narrow, but I'm thinking that might be the best I could get. Better to have two of these, than 5 of the gallon ones. More manageable.

I was just checking to see if anyone had any better ideas than what I had come up with. Thanks!

At one point, when I was fermenting on a small scale, I used a 7 quart crock pot for it. It is all ceramic or porcelain depending on the brand, just like old crocks they did pickling in. To secure a lid, find a cross stitch frame that matches the size of the crock and insert a thin towel tightly. It'll just sit atop it without the towel falling in.

Check Goodwill for the crocks. I have seen some very large ones for a couple bucks. Remember, every other Saturday is half-price day, too. And if you sign up for the EMail club, you can get 20% off coupons for every trip.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom