5 hens / 6 eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lenn, Dec 4, 2014.

1. lenn

lenn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    Ohio
    I found 6 eggs in the nesting boxes this am..., we only have 5 hens. How is this possible?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Is it possible that an egg was buried in the nesting material from a few days ago? This sometimes happens for me when I don't look closely enough.

Alternatively, it is possible (not really common, but possible) that a hen did lay two eggs today. Sometimes two yolks are released in rapid succession into the oviduct and a chicken will lay two eggs in one day.

3. JRL1438

JRL1438 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    South Carolina
    I'm not sure how but my silkie cross had 2 eggs one day and it had only been the 3rd time she had laid an egg. None of the other girls in that coop were laying eggs at the time yet plus the rest of the girls are RIRs. I was thinking that maybe she had the one hidden but where and how did she move it. I would love to know if anyone else has had a hen lay 2 eggs in a day and how it happens.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Brand new layers can sometimes lay 2 eggs in one day.
    Sometimes within minutes of one another, sometimes later in the day.
    One will often has a funky shell. Had it happen several times in the first week of laying with my pullets this year.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Extremely rare. It's also possible that one was laid very late the prior day after you checked the nests. I've had it happen but I'm pretty sure I missed one from the day before.
    If two yolks are released close together, they're mostly likely combined in one shell as a double yolk egg.
    Normally, a yolk isn't released till at least an hour after the last egg passes from the cloaca, though nothing is impossible.
    The bulk (about 21) of the 25 hours it takes to make an egg is spent in the shell gland (uterus) and at only about 12 cm in length IMHO unlikely 2 will be in the gland at once.
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/2/formation-of-the-egg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I have a BSL who often laid more than one egg/day, though the second or third (and yes, witnessed!) eggs were rubber. On occasion, she did lay 2 normal eggs/day in her first laying season.

7. lenn

lenn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    Ohio
    Thanks for all the stories. I am sure it wasn't missed (only have 5 hens and collect 5 eggs everyday). Glad to know I haven't lost my mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by