5 hens dead in 4 weeks! WHY????

Your feed may or may not be a factor. A few things to keep in mind, and pardon if you already know all this, but these are good to be aware of....
1. Check the mill dates on the bags always when purchasing, every brand will mark in a different way, some stamp on the sewn on label, some stamp on the sewn seam on the bottom of the bag. Always buy the freshest you can.
2. There is no way of knowing how your bag of feed was stored and handled between the time it left the mill and you buying it. I have seen pallets of bags of feed sitting in the pouring rain getting soaked. I have purchased bags that were spoiled or beginning to spoil. Always check for anything off in how it looks or smells. A very strong chemical smell, odd colors like gray or green or white, or clumping could be spoilage. I always empty my bag into another storage bin so I can see all of it before feeding. If anything is off I either take it back or toss it (find out what the return policy is where you purchase). Not worth losing birds to bad feed. Sometimes a bag that has gotten wet or sat in water will be spoiling from the bottom and it's not obvious until you get deep enough in the bag. I actually smell the bag seams in the store to make sure there is no strong odor before buying, I'm sure some people think I'm nuts.
3. Whole grain feeds in some cases can cause health problems since some birds will pick out and eat only the parts they like and leave the rest. Most chickens love corn, and will choose that exclusively over other ingredients. If you are finding a lot of feed on the ground they may be doing that, digging for the parts they like, and feed on the ground can become moldy. A crumble or pelleted feed reduces the digging and picking and choosing of the parts they like.
None of those things may be an issue in this case, but did want to bring them up.

No
Do you use a heat lamp at night them send them out side in the cold during the day, ?
My chickens have been in very cold (-15) and do well with no heat. And yes they go in the run everyday unless there's snow on the ground. In that case I shovel a path and put down pine shavings. They really don't like the snow so I try to help them out as much as I can.:)

How many hours of daylight are you all having right now. Most first year chickens may lay through the winter, but after that most chickens need 12 hours of daylight.

Some like I, will put a small wattage light on a timer in the coop for a few extra hours of light early in the morning. Others prefer to let them rest for winter.

I lost 4-5 birds last winter in a 1 month period of severe cold weather. I did necropsies myself, and found cancer in one, salpingitis with a lash egg in another, and ascites or crop blockages in some. If your hens are young, I might suspect something like Mareks disease, especially if you see any imbalance, lameness, or twisted necks. If they are older than 2,reproductive disorders can really be common.

Your feed may or may not be a factor. A few things to keep in mind, and pardon if you already know all this, but these are good to be aware of....
1. Check the mill dates on the bags always when purchasing, every brand will mark in a different way, some stamp on the sewn on label, some stamp on the sewn seam on the bottom of the bag. Always buy the freshest you can.
2. There is no way of knowing how your bag of feed was stored and handled between the time it left the mill and you buying it. I have seen pallets of bags of feed sitting in the pouring rain getting soaked. I have purchased bags that were spoiled or beginning to spoil. Always check for anything off in how it looks or smells. A very strong chemical smell, odd colors like gray or green or white, or clumping could be spoilage. I always empty my bag into another storage bin so I can see all of it before feeding. If anything is off I either take it back or toss it (find out what the return policy is where you purchase). Not worth losing birds to bad feed. Sometimes a bag that has gotten wet or sat in water will be spoiling from the bottom and it's not obvious until you get deep enough in the bag. I actually smell the bag seams in the store to make sure there is no strong odor before buying, I'm sure some people think I'm nuts.
3. Whole grain feeds in some cases can cause health problems since some birds will pick out and eat only the parts they like and leave the rest. Most chickens love corn, and will choose that exclusively over other ingredients. If you are finding a lot of feed on the ground they may be doing that, digging for the parts they like, and feed on the ground can become moldy. A crumble or pelleted feed reduces the digging and picking and choosing of the parts they like.
None of those things may be an issue in this case, but did want to bring them up.
THANK YOU THAT IS SO HELPFUL!

How many hours of daylight are you all having right now. Most first year chickens may lay through the winter, but after that most chickens need 12 hours of daylight.

Some like I, will put a small wattage light on a timer in the coop for a few extra hours of light early in the morning. Others prefer to let them rest for winter.

I lost 4-5 birds last winter in a 1 month period of severe cold weather. I did necropsies myself, and found cancer in one, salpingitis with a lash egg in another, and ascites or crop blockages in some. If your hens are young, I might suspect something like Mareks disease, especially if you see any imbalance, lameness, or twisted necks. If they are older than 2,reproductive disorders can really be common.
Yes I do supplement light because of darkness here in AK. Usually a couple hours in the an and in the pm.

Not to hijack the thread but something else on feed. I bought feed from TSC on two different occasions about 6 months apart. A bag of feed was wet and moldy on the same corner of both bags. Apparently they had a roof leak. If I had not opened the bag as soon as I brought it home they probably would have said it was my fault.

Not to hijack the thread but something else on feed. I bought feed from TSC on two different occasions about 6 months apart. A bag of feed was wet and moldy on the same corner of both bags. Apparently they had a roof leak. If I had not opened the bag as soon as I brought it home they probably would have said it was my fault.
I bought a bag from there and didn't even make it home, it stunk my car up so bad my eyes were nearly watering. That is when I started smelling the seams of the bag. They are really bad about moving feed in out of the weather when it's delivered.

It depends on the management of the store. This one in Alton, Il is usually good about marking down feed that is getting old so they keep it fresh. Bad thing is that is over an hour travel time round trip for me and having to make the trip twice a day is a bummer.
:mad:

Back
Top Bottom