5 hens pecking 1

zweibucherwurm

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2016
Hi all,
I have 6 hens (4 golden comets, 2 americaunas) all from the same farm, all around 5 months old. 3 of the comets are laying reliably (newly), 1 just started, but nothing from the americauna. Today I heard them make a very strange skwak sound so looked out to see what they were doing. I say them all in the corner of the run intent on something (I thought it was a bug or lizard)...it was one of the americauna! I shooed them away from her and she ran into the coop. She has always been the one in the coop more often than the others, but they have always gotten along very well after the initial pecking order was established (they even have their tail feathers now). I stayed out there for awhile, but she only came out of the coop to get away from me and was not going near the others. Even now, I haven't seen her beyond the doorway of the coop. I tried to catch her unsuccessfully, but I'm new enough to chickens that I don't know what I'd be looking for.
Is she sick?
Was it the thunderstorm?
I put them on layer food today (mixed with the old food)...was that making them crazy?
I didn't see any blood, but lots of feathers awry, and her tail was droopy (like a dog with it's tail between it's legs)
They also completely demolished a straw bale under the coop today and did some serious hole digging in there.
I'd appreciate any advice!

Back
Top Bottom