5 is not enough

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kickinchicken, May 29, 2010.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    OK. I am breaking away from some super wicked DELISH Italian sausage and bow tie pasta to post this [​IMG]

I realized today, with the help of my 17 year old daughter that I am OBSESSED with my pullets...and the act of acquiring more!

I am a HUGE dog enthusiast, I am a dog walker by trade, and thought that I was nuts about all things dog. But, seriously....this whole chicken thing, I am just an addict. [​IMG]

Its like being able to have as many different breeds of dogs as you want without having 15 huge dogs pooping and barking and begging all day.

PAUSE...yummy! ok, back to my chickens....

Right now, I have 5 bantams- one sebrite (sp?), one Sultan, 2 SLWs and a buff cochin. I am looking at the breed page every day, multiple times, thinking of who to add next. To be honest, I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to add a Jersey Giant to the mix just to throw off my husband [​IMG] Really, a bunch of tiny little hens with one HUGE black hen [​IMG]

OK, now who else feels like I do? Who browses breeder pages just ogling their stock, [​IMG] wishing to add one more to the clan? I am building a 8x8 hen house with a 4x8 broody/storage area and I know I can have 16 standards in the actual hen house. Soooooo, that leaves me to get another 9 or so [​IMG] I just hate how the hatcheries make you get like 15 for a minimum order. I can't make that commitment. I want to get each hen as I see fit. Local breeders are tough to find. I love BYC and all but they REALLY need to add a listing based on STATE that we can search for breeders. The way it is now, its based on when someone posts or comments on the post of a breeder [​IMG] That would take FOREVER to find a breeder in my area. I am in Rhode Island-you know, the state that has the director who FIRED all the teachers in one god-awful city!...and there aren't a ton of breeders around here. At least not that I know of......exactly [​IMG]
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. easton coop

easton coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Winchester UK
    Yep you're not the only one! we've only had hens for7 weeks and every day I think about getting more. would love to hatch as 3 out of 4 of my hens are broody at the moment! my neighbours have some hens on order so in a few months time I get to see more. BYC is addictive, I'm on here every day, facebook doesn't get a look in any more! If I had my own way I would make it the Law to have hens!
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:*raising hand*

I started with all different breeds, 8 of them. I've added more, mostly singles, for that colorful flock thing. But I've also gotten a few doubles of some breeds. (2 Lakenvelders, 2 Welsummers, 2 bantam Cochins, and 2 eight-week old Silver Sebrights, plus a nearly three-week old Silver Sebright and a Golden Sebright.) Those are in addition to the singles of some breeds.

Wasn't going to "do" bantams, but answered a Craigslist ad for cochin chicks without noticing the "bantam" label. Too cute NOT to buy 'em.. Once I broke into bantam breeds, then the Sebrights followed. Wasn't going to get any white chickens, but fell in love with BYC photos of white EEs, had to get one of those. Then had to get a second white breed just to take some of the "easy target" syndrome off the white EE. Delaware, another breed I hadn't considered because it was white. Oh well.

One breed I REALLY want is a Buckeye. Nobody around here sells 'em. Darn. Or, perhaps, GOOD.
  4. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I really want a polish and definitely the BOs. And a Jersey Giant. Maybe a frizzled too! I can only have hens so as much as I admire the handsome roos, I have to be a hen-only flock [​IMG]
  5. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Hee hee...just like Easton coop said, I too am never on facebook anymore!!! I log on 1st thing in the morning to BYC, & I could spend hours on here no problem, & I haven't even gotten my chicks yet!!! They are comming soon, just over 2 more weeks!! I already want to add more to the 8 that I'm getting....if hubby only knew!!! [​IMG]
  6. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I got 5 chicks from our local feed store not knowing wether they wre hens or roos. i was only meant to get 2 hens but i fell in love with all the different color chicks I had to resist getting more then 5 at the time. but just as well because I have 2 roos that have to go, then someone was looking to get rid of an injured hen that needs a hen only flock so I brought her home shes been so good she lays 2 days and has a break 1 day so i get 5 eggs a week from her so god willing I have 4 pullets and 1 hen ... and find new homes for the roos
  7. t4dbirds

t4dbirds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    I only have two bantams. I'd have to sell my house and find one where I have enough room for a coop for all the ones I want. Right now I'm coveting a Silver Sebright and Faverolles. I mostly like the bantam size chickens. [​IMG]

Now if I could just meet that right person to support my new addiction!
    Last edited: May 29, 2010

JOSEYWALES Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    Cackle hatchery will let you order as few as five chicks. I think "my pet chicken" will let you order as few as three. I have ordered from Cackle before with no problems, never ordered from "my pet chicken".
  9. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    I'm a bantam lover, however I don't necessarily discriminate. Where I live which is within the City were only allowed 3 hens no Roo's. We can apply for a permit if we'd like more hen's, but I don't think I'll do that unless a neighbor complains. Needless to say I am keeping over my limit. I just cant help myself, I love my chickens and cant believe I lived so long w/o them, nothing is stopping me now. I incubate on a small scale regularly which is in its self very addicting, but boy is it rewarding. I've had a few roo's that I've had to place, but even that has been easy and worked out successfully. Cant imagine life w/o my Hens'.
  10. Casii

Casii Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    I hear ya!

My town has no set rules/limits regarding chickens anymore other than not being for agricultural use. A county commissioner lives across the park from me and he has chickens, a donkey and 2 horses in his yard, so I figure I'm good. [​IMG]

What I don't quite understand are the towns that has small limits on chickens (which are small) in comparison with those who own dogs. My neighbor has 4 rottweilers who surely are more noisy and produce far more waste than my chickens yet the same neighbor commented that we should keep our flock size down so the smell wouldn't infiltrate the neighborhood.

Hmmm, 8 bantam chickens vs 4 ginormous dogs....dog crap definitely outweighs the chicken crap! [​IMG]

(but I could easily order 8 more, hehehehe, because like you, I'm addicted!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by